Logo

Diagnosing 350 MAG

ikeG

Got a 2012 Premier tri toon with a 350 mag I/O in it. Occasionally, it will cut power and hit a limiter. It will reset if you back out and let it idle again. You do not need to take it out of gear, just let it return to idle. It mostly happens when trying to accelerate from an idle pulling a skier. But it will occasionally do it while up on plane after a bit. The instrument panel will beep occasionally. How do i start to diagnose this system? I read something about some PCM's having a beep system for giving DTC numbers? Any help is appreciated

Single short beep and engine stumble or stall is usually from a bad ignition coil... The rust and start to leak RFI and scramble the ecm.

Another cause of this is a bunch of crap hanging on the ignition key ring causing damage to the key switch which will cut power for a millisecond and reset the ECM.

Single short beep and engine stumble or stall is usually from a bad ignition coil... The rust and start to leak RFI and scramble the ecm.

Another cause of this is a bunch of crap hanging on the ignition key ring causing damage to the key switch which will cut power for a millisecond and reset the ECM.

Ok, thanks. I'll check the coils.
So is there or is there not a way to retrieve codes with the beeps??

I found the drive lube monitor bottle empty. That surely would cause our problem?
Also, the 350 mag bezel on top of the air cleaner has a code color chart. My next question is where does the color light up?? This boat has an obd service soon thing by the ignition. I wonder if it lights up the color?

Back