Logo

1960 75 hp Johnson seahorse need help

Cshaw

I'm have trouble with this engine just started to tinkering with it the big problem I have with it is the motor is hard to start like physically if you try to pull start it it will turn but takes a little muscle I tried to start it with the starter and it is slow which I don't blame it lol so I took the plugs out and tried to start the motor it freed it up enough for the starter to push it continuously but still not even close to how free it should be just wondering what other things could be prevent it from turning more freely 1960 75 hp super seahorse

Bad battery
Corroded/loose battery terminals
Corroded pins in cable plug
Loose screw that holds cable to motor (It is a ground screw)
Defective battery cables
Worn starter
Motor turns too hard

These ought to keep you busy troubleshooting. Got a multimeter and know how to make voltage drop tests?

Remove the gearcase ( lower unit ) in case that is binding up.------Smooth running motor when in good condition.------A bit thirsty on fuel by the standards of today.

Bad battery
Corroded/loose battery terminals
Corroded pins in cable plug
Loose screw that holds cable to motor (It is a ground screw)
Defective battery cables
Worn starter
Motor turns too hard

These ought to keep you busy troubleshooting. Got a multimeter and know how to make voltage drop tests?

Thank you I'm going to hit it hard in the morning again lol and I do not own a multimeter I need to invest in one

When I remove the lower unit what would be binding it something clogged in the impeller ? Preventing the shaft to move freely?

Post # 1 does not mention that you checked the lower unit for water / oil.----Could be jammed bearings I suppose.----That is why I mentioned it. ---But what do I know.

You are right on target, Racer. So many times I see a lower unit binding, and the owner thinks it's the powerhead. That was my very first thought here too. So remove drain and fill plugs and see what the oil looks like, then report back to us. Thanks.

Back