Logo

1984 25HP Johnson Evinrude

bennettrs

Hi Everyone,

Im new to this website. I searched around but could not find my question so I decided to post it. I have a 1984 25hp JE engine that wont idle. I can get it to turn and it will run for a few seconds. I can also make it run hard for a couple of seconds but it will inevitable just sputter and then just stop. I've cleaned the carburetor and changed the gaskets in the full pump and check the fuel line. I also replaced the spark plugs and the fuel line. Any guess as to why it wont run for more that a few seconds? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Hi Everyone,

Im new to this website. I searched around but could not find my question so I decided to post it. I have a 1984 25hp JE engine that wont idle. I can get it to turn and it will run for a few seconds. I can also make it run hard for a couple of seconds but it will inevitable just sputter and then just stop. I've cleaned the carburetor and changed the gaskets in the full pump and check the fuel line. I also replaced the spark plugs and the fuel line. Any guess as to why it wont run for more that a few seconds? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Have you checked the compression? The above exactly describes a 20hp Mercury that I just sold that had no compression in one cylinder.

With a full carburetor it should run for more than a few seconds !!-----Check the high speed jet.------It is often overlooked and is found way inside the carburetor float bowl.----It is not in the carburetor body.----How did this motor run for you last year ?

Back