Logo

dent in my aluminum boat, how do I go about fixing it?

vroomZOOM

Regular Contributor
Hello

I am sure this has been asked a bunch of times, but i'd like some specific advice. My boat has a dent (not really a dent but bent in area from the previous owner constantly slamming the boat into the trailer bunks). He tried to silicone the crap out of those rivets, but of course, that's not a good repair so he got rid of it. Well when I got it I went full send and took the whole thing apart in a day lol. I got some 3/16 and 1/4 inch rivets for the worn out holes (not the sealed pop rivets, but the brazier boat grade rivets). Now I could just drill out the worn out holes, rivet the boat up and it should be a nice tight boat BUT I found a crack:mad::eek:. Although I have done TIG before I think this one is for the pros. Is this crack even fixable? Its a riveted boat. Also it seems from pictures on the internet that that part of the boat is above the waterline, but I still would like it fixed. As for the bent in area, is it possible to bent it back out, and is it even worth my time, or should I just rivet that thing back up and put it to some use? Kinda feel like having it bent out again, and having my local metal fabricator make a new bulkhead. It wouldn't be too hard to remove, the whole boat is in pieces. I was thinking to heat up the bend lines with an oxy acetylene torch and then bend it out. Anyways, i'd like to hear the opinions of the experts!

Thanks
IMG_5008.JPGIMG_5014.JPGIMG_5010.JPGIMG_5012.JPGIMG_5015.JPG

The crack would be worth having welded up any decent tig welder should have no issue with it. Generally they drill a hole at each end of the crack and weld in from there hole keeps the crack from propagating.Replace the rivets and I wouldn’t worry about the rest just enjoy the boat. It’s a good looking rig.

Back