Logo

MerCruiser Alpha One / Quicksilver Shift Throttle Remote Control Box

kirkll

Regular Contributor
First post here and I would appreciate some help. I’m a new owner of a 1990 Blue Water ski / fishing boat. It is 18’ 6” length with the 4.3 mercruiser stern drive. I’m not really sure what model this boat is, but it has the Cuddy cabin.

anyway..... on our maiden voyage I pressed the throttle only button to warm up the engine, and could not get it back in gear. Still can’t get it back in gear..... question: is this something that can be fixed by disassembling and pulling some cleaning and lubrication?

the throttle only button pops back out bringing it back to neutral , but it will not engage either forward or reverse cables.

can someone help me with this? Thanks Kirk

maybe...it depends on the box and what it has been subjected to....you'll have to disassemble and clean it up to figure whats not right...and if you get lucky and nothing is broken or missing, put it back together today.

figure out which remote control assembly you have and then search the web for a FACTORY manual covering it. they aren't hard to work on - just a lot of small pieces that need to done in the proper order, and the manual is really essential for that...

Thanks a bunch...

I have already downloaded a repair manual, and have disassembled the outer portion of the trigger assembly and found a broken part in the trigger housing that locks the control arm in neutral. I’ve also found a replacement part for that I believe.

But this has nothing to do with the throttle only button keeping it from going into gear. I’ll try carefully taking it apart, and see what’s up.

Back