Logo

1980 Evinrude 115

jnd42697

Hey guys first post here looking for some help. Last time I ran the boat was January. Cranked it let it run several minutes then unplugged the fuel line to run all the fuel out of the carbs. Last week I put new gas in the tank, primed the motor and hit the key and nothing. I tried moving the shifter into neutral to make sure that wasn't the problem. Tested the batteries they have 13.2 volts. Cleaned all the terminals and still not crank. I can not find any fuses on this boat. There are none in the console and can't find one on the motor. I tested the ignition switch its hot with the key off and when the key is turned the next terminal has power. I moved to the solenoid I had power on the hot and power on the top side terminal. I do hear the solenoid click when I hit the switch but the starter doesn't spin. I'm thinking a bad solenoid? Where do I order a marine solenoid? I tried crossing from the battery lug on the solenoid to the two terminals separately but nothing happened. Have had the boat two years with no issues and to say I am boat stupid is an understatement. Thanks for any help guys.

There is a fuse in the harness on the motor.-----If the solenoid clicks then that fuse is good.-----Pull the starter apart for inspection.

Try and use booster cables directly to the starter.-----What happens ?----Worn out brushes / broken wires is what you would look for on a starter.

Pulled the starter and hooked it up to jumper cables and the battery no movement. The positive terminal is really loose on the starter. Going to order a new starter. Thanks for the help.

While you have your voltmeter out,check voltage at the starter. 12v =check starter, less than12v disconnect starter cable and recheck.no voltage=replace solenoid.

Last edited:
If you can solve it with money there are no problems.-------Myself I would test the starter !!!----Then perhaps a new set of brushes ( $6.00 ) from auto electric store.

Back