Logo

Boat Power Trim/Tilt

rhode145

Boat Power Trim/Tilt Issue: 1989 90HP Evinrude V4. I emptied the all the trim fluid from the lower valve seal and removed the piston pump control to make sure everything has been drained. In other words, I removed the lower drain plug (part 60) and the piston (part 9) that has an o-ring and 2 springs on it. I put everything back together just the was I found it. I refill the trim until the motor is back to the highest it will go and does not rest on the manual rest. I then lower the trim/tilt until it is all the way down and then for some reason it will not go back up, unless I turn the manual release and pick it up myself. I then drain everything back out to find the o-ring on the piston pump control keep breaking. I have done this 3 times now. Why on earth does the o-ring (part 22)keep breaking? here is the diagram of what I am talking about: http://www.marineengine.com/parts/johnson-evinrude-parts.php?year=1989&hp=90&model=E90TLCEM&manufacturer=Evinrude§ion=Power+Trim%2Ftilt+Hydraulic+Assembly

You are putting the o-ring in the piston groove correct?? Its the groove on the left in pic.
0323848.jpg

Yes. I am also using the OEM o-ring purchased well from a very well known parts store in Grand Rapids, MI. There is no unusual wear and tear, burrs, or scratches on either the piston, or the cylinder that the piston moves in. The springs are also in good condition. It seems like this should be so simple, but yet something is not right. The trim worked ok before I drained the fluid. I thought it was moving a little slower than it should so I figured there might be a little water in it. However, now I have a much bigger headache.

I got nothing, as soon as I start taking it down it doesn't allow me to go back up. Some how the the motor down mechanics are breaking the o-ring.

Back