Logo

1963 Evinrude 5.5 hp 5302A Shift lever removal

Ky Howard

Contributing Member
I'm looking to replace a broken shift lever but can't find an exploded view of the upper housing to understand the assembly. The parts view on here has the parts listed by call number but doesn't have the exploded view that they refer to. Any help is appreciated.
1963 Evinrude 5.5 hp 5302A Outboard Motor

You have to pull the power head off.------Sounds scary but very easy in my opinion.------When doing that it gives you the opportunity to remove lower unit for a new impeller too.----Chance to inspect the mechanical seal under the powerhead.----Before you ridicule the design just remember that it is 57 years old and likely will last many more years with some care !!

You're right. I was looking at the wrong part of the dwg. I also didn't realize the powerhead had to come off. Thank you.

I will pull the power head. I've been working on race (car) stuff for years so that doesn't seem like anything too complex. I new to boats and 2 strokes though but learning quickly. Now as to ridiculing the design...I'm a 1951 model myself. Compared to many of today's products that are made of plastic, un-testable circuit boards , digital electronics, vudoo, black magic and witchcraft and paid for with Yuan, (look it up if you don't know what that is) give me the old stuff, made in places like Wisconsin, Alabama, and other places we can not only pronounce but actually travel to.

I have a couple of the 1963 model 5.5 HP myself.-----I know how good / repairable these older motor are.----Have to start looking at investing in some parts for older motors before they are all listed as NLA by EVINRUDE /BRP.

I have a 3, 5, 5.5, 6 and a 20hp. Going through them is a learning process but kindof fun now that I have time. I've been pleasantly surprised how mechanically friendly they are. Brings back the old memories of "What will a little grinding here do? or How will it work with a bigger carb, etc.

Back