Logo

Random fuel starvation issue, Honda 250 - bulb?

grey2112

Contributing Member
So, today in some confused seas, with lots of banging around, I had numerous fuel starvation issues. Each time I checked the primer bulb it had no fuel and if squeezed would collapse and take a long time to uncollapse.

History:

2013 Honda 250. Just did an 850 hour service, all new filters, spark plugs, gaskets, etc. Also installed a new Mercury OEM fuel primer bulb. My set up is such:

fuel line from tank (3/8) goes to a 10 micron Yamaha fuel/water filter. I replaced that recently. After that, a 3/8 line goes to the bulb (Mercury OEM/Quicksilver) and then the line that leaves the bulb is a 5/16 that goes to the Honda.

When heading out today, before the seas got nasty, I had no issues. Running for a good 30-45 minutes at about 6000 rpms. It was only when things started to get rough and choppy that I'd suddenly experience those sudden losses of power, again like fuel starvation.

I would stop, check the bulb, wait for a minute, slowly get the bulb hard again, and then head off again. I kept it to around 4000 rpms from this point on, but it seemed like, at random, every 5-15 minutes, it would do it all over again.

Is it possible my bulb took a dump? Only 2 months old, have used it 4 other times in some even worse conditions, and this is the first time it has done this.

One other question - on a modern fuel-injected Honda 250, do I really NEED a primer bulb?

I've been told that all Honda 200/225/250 fuel lines should be 5/16" inside diameter.

How full was your fuel tank(s)? That is, is there any possibility that you are sucking air into the fuel lines due to rough seas or otherwise? For example, are you sure that the filter seal is tight on the F/W separator filter? Are the fuel line fittings tight and sealed?

The primer bulb has an internal check valve, which sometimes get stuck. Try bypassing the primer bulb.

The primer bulb is not likely necessary if the engine is being run often. However, if it sits up for, say, a month or two, I think that pre-priming the fuel system would help to start the engine faster, reduce start-up stalls, and put less strain on the starter and batteries.

Roger that! Glad you found the problem and it was a simple fix.

What was the source of the debris?

Why not provide more detail on how you determined that was the issue and what you did to unclog the anti-siphon valve so it can benefit others.

Oops, just saw this - forgot to respond.

So, I had eliminated a lot of the other potential issues for why this was happening, and a buddy suggested me checking that. I unscrewed the valve and inspected it, finding a piece of hard plastic in it that was apparently occasionally causing the ball-bearing to stick.

I removed it and also took out the priming bulb.

However, just the other day I started having the same issue in confused seas. Happened about 4-5 times. I simply throttled back, waited a sec, and then throttled up again and no longer had the issue. I am starting to wonder if perhaps a gasket from my fuel sender gauge has deteriorated and bits of it are occasionally blocking the pickup or line.

Back