Logo

Stator and voltage regulator question

RayLP

I have a 2004 Johnson J150plstm, with running and warm startup issues. I asked question on this site, but didn’t help. I put it in a shop, who replaced the stator, voltage regulator, CDI control and the coils. They replaced everything listed and didn’t help. The shop stated that all electrical power was removed from all 6 cyl at the same time and then instantly restored. They then removed these parts at the request of CDI And shipped them to CDI for testing. CDI stated that the stator and voltage regulator were burnt and the cause was with the battery I have in the boat. It is a marine deep cycle 12 volt battery, that has been in the boat for over one year.

Has anyone heard of this happening?

I have a 2004 Johnson J150plstm, with running and warm startup issues. I asked question on this site, but didn’t help. I put it in a shop, who replaced the stator, voltage regulator, CDI control and the coils. They replaced everything listed and didn’t help. The shop stated that all electrical power was removed from all 6 cyl at the same time and then instantly restored. They then removed these parts at the request of CDI And shipped them to CDI for testing. CDI stated that the stator and voltage regulator were burnt and the cause was with the battery I have in the boat. It is a marine deep cycle 12 volt battery, that has been in the boat for over one year.

Has anyone heard of this happening?

The most likely reason for the rectifier regulator being burnt out is not anything to do with the type of battery but because it was connected with the polarity reversed.

Reversed polarity will fry a rectifier or regulator faster than you can say, "Oh bother".

This is the third time within the last few weeks that I've heard of the stator also being damaged.

I can see it if the polarity was reversed, but the initial problem started after I was on the water for three hours. When the motor was started that day, it ran great.

CDI's way to wiggle out of warranty on their poor quality..blame it on something else. Only way battery would have damaged rect/reg is if cables was loose or it has a internal problem. When rect/reg fails the stator will usually overheat...

Last edited:
The repair shop stated that they replaced the components and ran the engine less than 30 minutes. The stator and regulator when burnt in less then 30 minutes this time.

Could be possible ground issue ?
I've seen a couple of optima batteries(AGM) Blown up. They have a second regulator that is used in batt. box..
The last 3 I've had that came in with stator and reg/rec bad all had AGM batteries

Back