Logo

454 riser getting hot

Cooperboy

New to the group and kind of new to the boating world. I bought 96 silverton at the end of last year. I have been going thru engines and doing all maintenance and repairs myself. We went out sat and in way back port side motor was bogging down at high rpm. I replaced all fuel filters last night and yes they were in bad shape. When I fired up motors I noticed one riser on port motor was extremely hot. I pulled off riser and checked for blockage . Seems as tho water is running thru just fine. What would my next step be to look at.!? Raw water I changed impellars I did clean out oil coolers they did have some old broken of pieces of impellar inside. Boat never over heated on our trip out . Any suggestions bwould be appreciated. Thanks

Welcome to ME.com!

First item - raw water cooled or is there a heat exchanger on the engine?

Second - when you refer to riser, do you mean riser or elbow?

Have you changed the zincs in the oil coolers?

Finally, I'd suggest getting an IR temp gun - they are cheap and useful for all sorts of troubleshooting. you can also take measurements of the various components (once operating correctly) and record them in your log book...having an accurate baseline is invaluable for the next 'issue'...

Back