Logo

Mercruiser 5.7, no flow = overheating

Mikael96

Hello. This is my first thread so bear with me :)

I have a Mercruiser 350 5.7 liters V8 (1990-1995) with a Volvo penta outdrive 270 or 290.
I have made a full renovation of the engine with new head gaskets, and a lot of new parts.
After assembly of the engine I have run into a big problem.
The first test ride ended up stranding me on the ocean because the cooling hose blew.
After I changed the hose i have noticed that there isn't any flow in the seawater filter. The impeller works fine, as it pumps a good flow of seawater.
I have learned that there are something called a warm manifold system, and a cold manifold system. I believe I have the cold system.

https://www.perfprotech.com/blog/articles/marine-exhaust-tips

I have the gaskets with the restricted holes between the elbow and exhaust manifold. (worked fine before the renovation).
I have also tried to run freshwater from a hose through the system, but it won't "take it" through..

Does anyone have an idea of why the engine overheats and there is no flow of coolingwater?

Regards Mikael

Attachments

• rwc-half-flow.jpg
    rwc-half-flow.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 24
#1. Always run the engine up to temp at the dock after doing work to the cooling system so that you don't end up being towed home.
Blown hose indicates there was a huge buildup of pressure. You don't specify which hose it was, so we can't really help.

Are you SURE you replumbed the cooling properly???? Also check that the holes in the elbows that flow water into the exhaust line is clear... is the oil cooler water path plugged ?

Hello. Thanks for the replies.

I have now tested it again with the hoses to the exhaust manifold taken off.
There is now a good flow of water through the engine, and the problem is in the Elbow or manifold..

Do you know if it is possible the clean the Elbows (and how) instead of buying new ones?

Regards Mikael

The first test ride ended up stranding me on the ocean because the cooling hose blew.

It blew from the pressure because the water is not leaving the engine thru the exaust.You sure you didnt run thru some mud or sand?

Hello. Thanks for the replies.

I have now tested it again with the hoses to the exhaust manifold taken off.
There is now a good flow of water through the engine, and the problem is in the Elbow or manifold..

Do you know if it is possible the clean the Elbows (and how) instead of buying new ones?

Regards Mikael

How old are the elbows and manifolds? Which type?? "Mercruiser Dry Joint" ??? Being plugged and not flowing water is not the worst thing that can go wrong with manifolds or elbows... photo below is a "dry joint" style

Attachments

• Dry Joint Elbow.jpg
    Dry Joint Elbow.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Chris is 200% correct... " Being plugged and not flowing water is not the worst thing that can go wrong with manifolds or elbows... "

They rust thru and you end up with seawater in the cyinders and crankcase. and if this happens while the engine is running ... :-(

If these are the original manifolds and elbows, you've done very well. If you engine has "center rise" elbows, I'd look into dry joints (manifolds and elbows) as replacement.

Last edited:
Yeah okay. The manifold is fine, but the elbows are done..
Do dry joint elbow fit all types of manifold, or do you need a speciel one?

..... major failure mode of sea water manifolds and elbows is not plugging up but rust thru between the water jacket and the exhaust passages starting from the seawater side of the water jacket. Not inspectable by normal means. In a fair number of cases the first symptom of this is the engine hydrolocking.

Back