Logo

kill switch not killing engine

pops86

Contributing Member
I tried to search for specific info, but did not see what I needed.
Returning to our boat basin, some how iI pulled the kill switch lanyard, and the engine did not die. The key pushed out like it should, but the engine kept running as nothing happened. So, I reinserted the clip and motored into my slip.
What should I do to repair it?
Thanks

I tried to search for specific info, but did not see what I needed.
Returning to our boat basin, some how iI pulled the kill switch lanyard, and the engine did not die. The key pushed out like it should, but the engine kept running as nothing happened. So, I reinserted the clip and motored into my slip.
What should I do to repair it?
Thanks
Model number please. If it's a 91 or newer,wd40 the key switch face. 90 and back rebuild some trobleshooting.

Depending on the year model some of those switchs are manual kill...in other words when lanyard is removed the switch turns to off .

E200TXEUA. Will try the wd-40, and examine for any wire problems. The lanyard does not turn the key to the off position. The clip slips on after you push the key in, and the key pops out when the clip is pulled off. The key does not axctually "pop" out, the mechanism pops out about 3/16" or so.
Thanks

The lanyard does not turn the key to the off position. The clip slips on after you push the key in, and the key pops out when the clip is pulled off. The key does not axctually "pop" out, the mechanism pops out about 3/16" or so
You have a manual kill...the keyswitch is spring loaded internally, when lanyard is installed it holds a spring loaded cam inside switch, when removed the center of switch pushes out and cam turns switch to off. Lighty oil it and work it around as suggested..

Back