Logo

Mercury 2020 5HP Outboard

mercu

Hello,

I have recently purchased a 5HP Mercury outboard to power my solo skiff. Using my internal tank, every time I run the tank dry, I refuel the tank and it just does not work -happened to me twice so far. First time I called up a friend who unplugged the fuel line from the fuel pump (manual fuel pump) checked that there was no fuel supply even with the fuel valve on. He sucked on the line and there you have it fuel again! that seemed to fix it the first time.

The second time i ran the fuel tank dry I was in deep ocean and as the motor powered down. I instinctively refueled it. To my shock it would not crank up. Tried the fuel line from the fuel pump thing drank a lot of gas but still did not start up. I took it today to the dealership and the mechanic unplugged the fuel line that was connected to the carb and just pulled on the rope and there you have it fuel back in business. He advised me not to rank the fuel tank dry or else this will happen again.

Question is which is confusing me, my motor is new why cant I just run the fuel tank dry without having any issues?

Cheers

Are you using those new EPA mandated "idiot" tanks without a vent? If so, I'd recommend locating an older tank with a vent.

Jeff

Hello,

I have recently purchased a 5HP Mercury outboard to power my solo skiff. Using my internal tank, every time I run the tank dry, I refuel the tank and it just does not work -happened to me twice so far. First time I called up a friend who unplugged the fuel line from the fuel pump (manual fuel pump) checked that there was no fuel supply even with the fuel valve on. He sucked on the line and there you have it fuel again! that seemed to fix it the first time.

The second time i ran the fuel tank dry I was in deep ocean and as the motor powered down. I instinctively refueled it. To my shock it would not crank up. Tried the fuel line from the fuel pump thing drank a lot of gas but still did not start up. I took it today to the dealership and the mechanic unplugged the fuel line that was connected to the carb and just pulled on the rope and there you have it fuel back in business. He advised me not to rank the fuel tank dry or else this will happen again.

Question is which is confusing me, my motor is new why cant I just run the fuel tank dry without having any issues?

Cheers

Thank you for your response

The internal tank actually has a vent and was opened at the time of operation. Any feedback?

Being a built in tank, gravity fed to fuel pump..I would look at fuel cap venting issues

Thank you for your 2 cents.

I have confirmed fuel cap vent is 100% functional and brand new. The bigger issue is that the dealership is telling me that I should not run the fuel tank empty dry as this will cause air to be trapped in the fuel line and then trouble restarting, like in my case. Initially, I refused to believe that because it did not make any sense to me. Why would I not be able to run my motor empty and then fill it up and run it again.

The fix they offered was just opening up fuel lines. First the line connected to the fuel pump, pulling rope checking if fuel is feeding then connecting it back. Then the fuel line connected to the carb and same thing pull rope to get out any "air" in the line.

Is that true?

Thanks

Bump, need a solution :( Just attempted to start it after a week of storage( fuel vent closed, fuel valve off, carb no fuel in).

would not start until I opened up the fuel lines and literally sucked the fuel out!

HELP

Back