Logo

1990 evinrude 8 hp questions

I wish I was at the stage that I could contribute to this forum, instead of asking for help, but help I still need. 1st issue, is there supposed to be water spraying out of the small passage on either side of the joint between the lower unit and the upper housing. This passage is just aft of the fwd mounting bolt. I just had the lower unit off to replace the driveshaft seals and shiftrod o rings. I also redid the w/p, all gaskets were replaced, the only part not renewed was the w/p upper housing. Because I'm new to outboards and I had been running the engine in a drum, I would not have noticed this water spraying out. Now, I flush the engine out in a shorter barrel in which the water just covers the water intake and now this passage is exposed. It seem like some of the exhaust pushes this water out? or just water pressure? There is no water in the lower gearcase, but this leads me to 2nd issue. As the engine sits on the stand I see a small amount of gear oil on the paper towel i place under it. It's not from the prop shaft seals, nor from the drain plug for sure, only by putting a clean paper towel in the exhaust outlet did I find where it came from. This is with the engine just sitting, and the lower unit was not over filled. I don't get it. I know now that there are a few of you that have these identical engines, Any ideas? I'd like to get to the stage where I can make more than 1 trip without a repair before the next trip. Apologize for the length, better to provide as much info up front to reduce the back and forth. Thanks to all, Jersey Bob

That water spray is normal. Water level needs to be above water pump.it's displacement pump,not a suction pump. The "oil leak" sounds unburnt fuel running down and out exhaust.usually a different color than L/U lube.

I wish I was at the stage that I could contribute to this forum, instead of asking for help, but help I still need. 1st issue, is there supposed to be water spraying out of the small passage on either side of the joint between the lower unit and the upper housing. This passage is just aft of the fwd mounting bolt. I just had the lower unit off to replace the driveshaft seals and shiftrod o rings. I also redid the w/p, all gaskets were replaced, the only part not renewed was the w/p upper housing. Because I'm new to outboards and I had been running the engine in a drum, I would not have noticed this water spraying out. Now, I flush the engine out in a shorter barrel in which the water just covers the water intake and now this passage is exposed. It seem like some of the exhaust pushes this water out? or just water pressure? There is no water in the lower gearcase, but this leads me to 2nd issue. As the engine sits on the stand I see a small amount of gear oil on the paper towel i place under it. It's not from the prop shaft seals, nor from the drain plug for sure, only by putting a clean paper towel in the exhaust outlet did I find where it came from. This is with the engine just sitting, and the lower unit was not over filled. I don't get it. I know now that there are a few of you that have these identical engines, Any ideas? I'd like to get to the stage where I can make more than 1 trip without a repair before the next trip. Apologize for the length, better to provide as much info up front to reduce the back and forth. Thanks to all, Jersey Bob

The holes are drains which ensure no water is left in the leg when the engine is lifted from the water. If the joint is above the water level in the barrel water will be blown from them

BUT that joint should not be above the water level. Raise the level in the barrel so that it well above that joint... It should as already said cover the water pump. Then you wont see any water coming out of those drains

I doubt if the oil you see coming from the exhaust is gear oil more likely to be unburnt oil from the fuel. All 2 strokes drip a little unburnt oil. Gear oil can usually be recognised by its smell, and its high viscosity.

spent 2 hrs trying to answer, last try for today. Ran boat hard for 1 hr, took over 2 hrs to limp back. Another story for later. Put it in a new barrel to flush the salt out @a fast idle. what do I see appear? Little green globs of oil floating. Shut it down, gear oil no doubt about it. Dried and cleaned the lower unit, checked oil. down maybe a teaspoon. Zip tied clean paper towel around the prop shaft, let it sit outside ( it's 90 here ) for 3 hours. Prop shaft dry, drain and fill plugs dry. Small ( dime size ) spot of brown oil under exhaust outlet. Feels like gear oil, but smells slightly different, maybe because of coming from ex outlet? Ideas? Thanks for your patience and help. Jersey Bob

Last edited:
spent 2 hrs trying to answer, last try for today. Ran boat hard for 1 hr, took over 2 hrs to limp back. Another story for later. Put it in a new barrel to flush the salt out @a fast idle. what do I see appear? Little green globs of oil floating. Shut it down, gear oil no doubt about it. Dried and cleaned the lower unit, checked oil. down maybe a teaspoon. Zip tied clean paper towel around the prop shaft, let it sit outside ( it's 90 here ) for 3 hours. Prop shaft dry, drain and fill plugs dry. Small ( dime size ) spot of brown oil under exhaust outlet. Feels like gear oil, but smells slightly different, maybe because of coming from ex outlet? Ideas? Thanks for your patience and help. Jersey Bob

You should not be losing gear oil. If you are then there is a seal or gasket leaking but be sure you are losing oil before you tear into it.

If oil is leaking out water may be able to get in.. You dont want salt water getting in .

Unburnt oil from the fuel floating in the barrel or dripping from the exhaust is normal for a two stroke.

So it seems that the general consensus is LEAVE IT ALONE. Happy to do that, Thanks. Here's a question that disappeared with my other 2 posts yesterday. There is what I believe is listed as a connector with a wire on each end with a SS bracket attached and has 2 mounting holes. It's laying loose under the fuel pump, found no nuts, bolts or screws in the lower cover to give me an idea where it should be mounted. Thanks again, J B

Back