Logo

1996 175 EFI Cold Start Smoke and Periodic Dead Cylinders

The engine for about the last year or so has been smoking excessively on cold starts. Once the engine runs for a few mins it clears out. Seems to me like the oil mixture in the VST is becoming overly rich so on startup its well over 50:1. This to me, is leading to the newest problem, which started just before I put the boat away for the winter last fall and is now more prevalent this spring. Now the engine feels to be running on less than 6 cylinders for the same length of time, it still eventually clears and runs great. Almost like the injectors are spraying so much oil that the fuel won't ignite in several cylinders. Is there a check valve somewhere from the gravity tank on top of the engine down to the VST that I can change out? Any help with this issue would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for your time!

Serial Number 0G360904

Check spark as sounds like one side of stator is not working...If OK when was last time injectors was cleaned?

I'll check the spark, but does an intermittent stator even make sense? It clears up after 10 to 30 seconds and runs fine and will run fine until it's shut off.

As for the injectors, I've owned the boat for 5 or 6 years and have run Stabil religiously but never had them cleaned.

Which is it ...minutes or seconds????

Sorry, good point. It’s closer to 20-30 seconds. New symptom today though, when running at just over headway speed I got the cylinder drop twice. When I gave it more throttle the power came right back.

Still have not been able to test for spark while the cylinder is down.

So I got around to testing this while it was acting up and it seems to be the bottom cylinder on each bank. I am however getting spark (found out the hard way). I pulled each plug wire with the engine running, could hear the arc to the plug, but in the bottom 2 cylinders did not hear a change in engine rpm. The other 4 I could hear the engine sputter. I've thought it was fuel all along, do you agree this confirms that?

Back