Logo

Please Help with 1976 Evinrude Starting Issue

tm5k

I inherited a 1976 75hp (75642D) Jet drive Evinrude on a 13 ft Boston Whaler that sat for YEARS. I rebuilt the carbs and it started right up. I mixed up some Start your engines by Stabil in a gallon of gas and took it to the river. Cranked and cranked and it wouldn't start. I bought a new battery thinking it was possibly the problem but still wouldn't start in water. A couple days later I changed the spark plugs and started it started right up. I took it down to the river again and it wouldn't start. I pulled it out of the water and tried starting it and now it wouldn't start on land. I thought that maybe it wasn't getting spark so I tested the spark plugs today with a tester and there was plenty of spark. Tested the coils and the power pack, everything seemed to be working. I then removed the wire from the ignition terminal on the power pack and it started right up. I thought I solved it and that maybe the ignition switch was getting grounded. I reconnected the ignition wire and it started right up again. Turned it off and back on a couple different times with the ignition wire connected as normal. My assumption now is that I'll take it to the river again and it won't start. But before I do that and get bummed out again, I thought I'd see what ya'll think. I feel that I haven't really solved the problem considering I didn't really find anything. I can't get any mechanics in my area to work on it because "it's too old". I'd repower but really don't have the cash right now.

Sorry if I double posted this, can't find my thread I made..

Don't have a definite answer to your question, but just curious---how fast is that Whaler with a 70 on the back?

I honestly have no clue. Where it's an old Jet I would guess 40-50 hp equivalent. Whaler is rated for a 40 but it's original to the boat🤷

Take your multimeter along and check to see if that black/yellow wire shows continuity to ground when it won't start. Remember these starters are 20 seconds MAXIMUM cranking time, then need to cool off or they will be destroyed.

Take your multimeter along and check to see if that black/yellow wire shows continuity to ground when it won't start. Remember these starters are 20 seconds MAXIMUM cranking time, then need to cool off or they will be destroyed.

Any ground work? I was thinking the one on the power pack maybe. I'm very much not an expert, can kinda fake it.

Right, any ground so if you see continuity when in run position on your ignition, then we have a short either in that wire, (yellow/black), to ground, or a bad kill switch or ignition switch. First try wiggling the ignition switch when it is acting up with no spark.

Right, any ground so if you see continuity when in run position on your ignition, then we have a short either in that wire, (yellow/black), to ground, or a bad kill switch or ignition switch. First try wiggling the ignition switch when it is acting up with no spark.

Ok, turns out it isn't the switch or ground. Thank goodness for multimeters right? So I did as you said and everything looked good so I primed the bulb, but it when I tried turning it over again it wouldn't start. It sounded like it wasn't getting spark again. I grabbed my spark tester and put it on the top cylinder. I started cranking it to see if it would get spark and it started right up, no choke or anything. I took the spark tester back off and cranked it and it started right up. I'm thinking it's the coil/coils or the wire connected to the coils. What do you guys think? How can I test the coil for to know for sure?

Last edited:
I found a video online how to test the coils. 1 is bad no ohm reading and the other 2 are 1,260 ohm roughly. I would assume that high of ohm is bad?

Back