Logo

9.9 won’t rev

DaveDe

Hi all, new member here. I have a 2000 Tohatsu 9.9 4 stroke. The problem I have is that the engine will not rev. After it starts the oil light comes on for about 10 seconds. When the light is on the engine will rev up and down no problem, but once the light goes out it will not rev up. Can’t figure it out, was thinking maybe the computer is bad but I have no idea
thanks

Is your model M9.9A?
It doesn't have a cumputer; just a CD.
Have you tested the ABS solenoid?
What does happen when you open the throttle?

Yes it’s a 9.9a, where is the abs solenoid? I did test the electric choke and that did nothing. When I open the throttle it just stays at a rough idle, similar to a rev limiter, but when the oil light is on it revs up just fine

So. MFS9.9A. That's a 4-stroke.

It does not have an electric choke.

Refer to your Factory service manual about the ABS system. You have to pull the solenoid out and power it with 12v to test.
You could have an issue with the ABS that when warm it stays rich. Are the plugs sooty?
When did this start happening?
Is the oil above full?
When was the last time the carb was cleaned?

I’m pretty sure this one has a electric choke, it has 2 wires coming out of it. One plug looks sooty the other looks good. Oil level is were it’s suppose to be. It just started doing it this year when I took it out of storage. I’ll do some research on the abs system, I don’t have a service manual but will look for something online. Thanks

Tohatsu Factory service manuals are copyrighted, to not usually available ibline. Aftermarket manuals are worthless as they are too general. The old manual for the A series is out of print. The newer C models have manual choke; otherwise they are the same. The manual is Part #: 003-21062-0 List Price (MSRP): $50.00

The abs carbs are good and reliable, but if ever stored for a week or more with fuel in them, probably need a good cleaning. This shows your carb:

002-21047-4_FIG05.jpg

Back