Logo

1998 Johnson 150hp Ficht won't start please help

jeast517

my 1998 Johnson 150 hp Ficht was running good took it to the lake and it just stalled and I haven't been able to get it started. I hooked up the computer program and there's no codes or faults, I tried doing a test for spark and I'm not getting spark. I don't know a lot about the computer program but I think it says the motor is in S.L.O.W mode? Screenshot_20200526-170000_Xodo Docs.jpgScreenshot_20200526-170032_Xodo Docs.jpgScreenshot_20200526-170046_Xodo Docs.jpg

Can you hear the fuel pump run when you turn the key on? Have checked all fuses? Checked spark plugs?

I can smell fuel when trying to start it sounds like its kicking on, I put my spark tester on all 6 plugs and did have any spark. I ordered a new tester should get it tomorrow to check spark my tester is very old and has dry rot.

I can smell fuel when trying to start it sounds like its kicking on, I put my spark tester on all 6 plugs and did have any spark. I ordered a new tester should get it tomorrow to check spark my tester is very old and has dry rot.
When was the last time it ran good at the lake?can you hear the fuel pump run for 10seconds with key on? Yes/No??? Motor has been really hot at some point,needs a compression test.post numbers. Check system voltage using diag.Program while cranking.post results.

I checked all fuses in the PDP Panel. How can I test the pop panel is good?
So for your PEP seems ok but more test need to be done. With diag.Program hooked up and key on,go to static test and fire each injector,you should here each one cl!cking.post back results.whi!e in static mode you can also check spark.

I can tell you from experience that these engines are very sensitive to a weak battery. It might sound like it's cranking normally but it needs more. Make sure your battery is fully charged before you spend money on anything else.

When was the last time it ran good at the lake?can you hear the fuel pump run for 10seconds with key on? Yes/No??? Motor has been really hot at some point,needs a compression test.post numbers. Check system voltage using diag.Program while cranking.post results.

It was running good in March, I got a new spark tester spark on all cylinder, I'm just did a compression test 2- 70 psi, 4-70 psi, 6-70 psi, 1- 80psi, 3-80psi, 6- 80psi compression seems low.

you are going down a road I've been down. The engine is cranking too slowly and the cranking battery voltage is too low. Make sure all of your connections are clean. I went down this road because the connections on the junction box in a locker on the transom were dirty. It won't cost you anything to clean those connections.

I had 2 batteries, a group 31 and a group 29 both fully charged. I also connected a jump box to it and tried the battery charger on boost. I had figured out my crank speed was to slow and was trying to diagnose that. I don't remember the crank speed spec but I know it was greater than 300. Engine has to spin fast enough to make 40? A/C volts.

I had 2 batteries, a group 31 and a group 29 both fully charged. I also connected a jump box to it and tried the battery charger on boost. I had figured out my crank speed was to slow and was trying to diagnose that. I don't remember the crank speed spec but I know it was greater than 300. Engine has to spin fast enough to make 40? A/C volts.
Diagnosis is done with volt/ohm meter ,ampmeter. Do you have spark on all six yes? No? Do you have spark plugs in or out when doing cranking rpm? When doing cranking voltage? These could be the last questions I'll ask.

I did a spark test with a spark plug tester that lights up if there's spark, I have a volt/ohm meter I just don't know how to test spark with it. If you could help me i would appreciate it alot. All spark plugs are in when doing cranking RPM and they are in during cranking voltage.

I did a spark test with a spark plug tester that lights up if there's spark, I have a volt/ohm meter I just don't know how to test spark with it. If you could help me i would appreciate it alot. All spark plugs are in when doing cranking RPM and they are in during cranking voltage.

Since it was running good and stalled, now no restart, cranking RPM is low, battery voltage low on cranking and had a 277° degree heat reading,,either the motor has scuffed the cylinders causing starter to draw more amperage or gearcase took a poop...

New problems I send computer in got it fixed. Been using it everything has been good. Last week I took it out and ran great then the alarm went off low oil. I shut down the motor checked oil res and it was low had a little less than a quarter tank. Tried starting it back up just cranks and cranks. So I got towed back filled oil up pumped the oil primer and light came off but still will not start. I unhooked the battery for a couple of days still no start? Anyone have any suggestions?

Back