Logo

BF130 Pinion gear shim selection

Hello all,

I'm in the process of changing a worn taper bearing on the drive shaft of my BF130 and I have a couple of questions so hoping you guys can help.

The first question is I suppose more clarification/a second opinion regarding selecting the right shims for the drive shaft taper bearing. I've followed the service manual and have the following numbers and calculations:

Engagement mark on the case = D

(Distance D) Drive Shaft 158.9mm
Taper bearing outer race to inner 21.5mm
Taper bearing outer race 17mm
21.5mm -17mm = 4.5 (Distance E)

D+E-162.95=0.45
If I cross reference my calculation of 0.45 with case marking D on the pinion gear shim selection table i get the value of 0.40mm so therefore I should need shims C 0.30mm and A 0.10mm?

The next question is regarding the needle bearing that's in the case above the pinion gear. The underside of the original bearing was not level with the bottom of the gear case. Should I put the new one level with the bottom of the gear case or in the same place as the original?

Thanks.

Needle bearing should be installed level with the bottom of the gearcase casting.This is not a critical height, as long as it can't rub on the pinion

Thanks, I will put the new needle bearing in today. :)

Hopefully if I get confirmation on the shim sizes I can do the painful part and start ordering shims and seals.

Sorry, I don't give clarification on shim sizes, you do this at your own risk, if it's not measured and checked precisely you can end up with an expensive rework

No problem,
I'm confident I got the measurements right using my micrometer and an engineers gauge. I checked twice and both times came up with the same result, what I wasn't sure about is if I was referencing the pinion gear selection table correctly. Find, in my case 0.45 then run down the table to "D" which is my gear case engagement mark and the number there is 0.40 so I need the shims to add up to 0.40mm

Back