Logo

Carburetor cleaning/assembly (Johnson/Evinrude 200hp)

Shesho

Hey J/E Forum,

It's my first time taking apart my carbs and cleaning them and some info would be of great use. I currently have a 1997 Johnson/Evinrude 200hp Oceanrunner J200TXEUA and the reason for the disassembly stems from throttle issues while I was out on the water. During the disassembly and cleaning process, I noticed one of the screws (circled in yellow on the image) is missing on the right carburetor. Does the right carburetor need one as well? I also uploaded an image of the screws that belong in that spot. Also, I used carbueretor cleaner and compressed air during the cleaning process. I will allow them to air dry as well as i wait for the new parts to come in. The carburetor cleaner is quite sticky after using compressed air. Do you guys recommend to wipe them down with a clean towel?

As for the throttle plate, what cleaner do you guys recommend i use?

Thanks again

Carb 1.jpg Carb 2.jpg

Last edited:
That is a jet that's missing so check the compression on all cylinders..if not in airbox cover a cylinder ate it which aint good. Also don't use carb cleaner or caustic cleaners on plastic carbs!!! Use a HD degreaser like Simple Green or Purple Power or even Seafoam to soak and rinse out and blow out with air or a ultrasonic cleaner

Awesome!

thanks a lot! I don't have the compression check tool but the local repair shop charges $100 for a full diagnostics on the motor.

Back