Logo

1985 Johnson 90hp goes in reverse when put in drive

James3006

I have a 1985 Johnson 90hp that the lower has been changed and is going in reverse when put in drive. I do not believe that this is the correct lower for this motor and I am having a hard time determining what drive is on it. I looked in the control box to see if I could change the cables, I can't. Is there any mechanical way that I can change the shift mechanism? Any suggestions would help.

Hard facts for you.----The 1973 to 1977 models shifted to forward with a DOWN motion of the shift rod.-----Later units shifted to forward using an UP motion of the shift rod.-------You can not change anything in the control box.-------You might be able to change linkages on the motor.---Then again I can not see / determine what you have from a 1001 miles away.----Nor what someone did on your motor to adapt the shift rod.----Answer this question ,---when your control is moved to forward gear does the shift rod go UP but the lower unit turns in reverse ?----Easy fix if you brought it over I think.

You can not make changes inside the gearcase.-----There is no " cradle " in this gearcase !!---A left hand propeller may not be the solution either.----Time to run to a shop and get an opinion of what to do.----From far , far away I suggest you find the correct lower unit.

Back