Logo

No water flow OMC Stringer

a91eagletalon

Question guys

Got boat out and serviced it to get ready for the summer. Did oil change new belt plugs and what not well went to start it and once I had it running I had not water circulating. Ran perfect when I parked it in the fall. It's a stinger type Stern Drive. My first guess was the pump. I run the stern drive in a large tote that keeps the inlet under water. since the drive and engine were completely dry do you think it just didn't suck water up or does that not matter. I tore into the Stern Drive got to the water pump The water pump does not look burned up other than being alittle dirty (see the attached pic) does this water pump look like junk should I get a new one or can I just keep running this one.

Any ideas on anything else that would keep it from pumping water.

Thanks
MJP

Attachments

• IMG_20200524_174219_copy_1920x1080.jpg
    IMG_20200524_174219_copy_1920x1080.jpg
    703.5 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:
does this water pump look like junk should I get a new one or can I just keep running this one.

Ayuh,...... The vanes should be straight, not curved,..... Replace it,......

Also, the raw water pumps can't/ won't suck water,.....
They are a flooded entry pump, which has to be completely underwater, or force fed water from a hose,....

My problem was that the inlet and outlet hoses from the manifold to the thermostat housing were reversed. No water got to the thermostat engine to go into the engine

passage way blocked where it bolts on the leg? Internal passages choked with corrosion?
Since the pump is entirely submerged at rest it ought to at least self prime and force water out.

Take off the side plates where the entire leg mounts on and see if water pumps out from there.
I suppose you do have the key to lock impeller? And even with bent vanes, it ought to pump. Plus I thought some were naturally made bent? Any bent ones always pumped for me.

Back