Logo

tiller handle wont stay put

outback32

Regular Contributor
hey guys so my cousins 1990 jhonson 20hp tiller wont stay where you put it.we were running it this weekend and if you let go of the handle it wont stay whers you put it

You mean the steering? Hunker down and look between the clampscrews, right above the transom. See that screw looking back at you? That is the steering friction adjustment. Tighten it up to suit your taste.

sorry should've been more clear not thr steering part of it the throttle part. the speed wont stay where you have it. if you let go of the throttle it will twist itself back to shut off the throttle

sorry should've been more clear not thr steering part of it the throttle part. the speed wont stay where you have it. if you let go of the throttle it will twist itself back to shut off the throttle

Its a pain. My 6 hp used to do that until i put a friction washer in one of the linkages....... Dont know if you could do something like that

Some models have clamp that will clamp the twist grip. #43A in the diagram below for an 8hp. Maybe that part will fit your 20hp. I think it may because the part #43 which it would replace, is the same

http://epc.brp.com/cgi-bin/ImgServ....77\12.tif&ilSC=35&ilIV=0&ilBR=0&ilIF=P&ilRE=8

I looked at the diagram for the 20hp it shows a throttle control plate. could that part be the reason for the throttle not staying in place

I looked at the diagram for the 20hp it shows a throttle control plate. could that part be the reason for the throttle not staying in place

Yes that's the part. I believe it is supposed to be some sort of friction bush that prevents the twist grip moving on its own... but it does not. My suggestion is that you can replace it with the clamp ( which is shown as #43A in the 8 hp diagram ( Part number 174741)

Was that motor ever used as a remote control motor. I had a 15 Hp that use to do what you describe. It was missing a friction control bushing or some such item that is removed when converting it to a remote control motor. When it goes back into service as a tiller control motor it seems that no one ever remembers to put that part back.

It is quite annoying. From shore it looks like you are having fuel problems out there because every time you let go of the twist grip it looks like you lose fuel right away and the boat bogs down...which of course you are losing fuel right away, but only because the twist grip turns back suddenly on its own.

Here’s what the part Vics was talking about looks like. If I undo it all the way, the throttle backs off if not held. Just tighten to your desired level
53A14EF7-522C-4156-A1D8-24CF8E313FB4.jpeg

Back