Logo

Mercury 1150 weak spark

Bill Krummel

I have a mercury 1150 that I got to run a little last summer after replacing the trigger inside the distributor, this season come around and im ready to put it on a boat and have some fun but when i go to link and sync it i have no spark again. I go through all the usually diagnosis and find that the trigger is fine but spark off the coil wire seems weak. It wont jump more than an 1/8 gap and its hard to get it to do that. My question is is it just a bad coil or is the signal from the switchbox weak? Is there a way to be sure its a full 12 volts getting to the coil?

There is more than 12v going to the coil you can use this chart to check the resistances.Tbolt-coil-test.jpgThe coil wire might be defective or the switch box - check all grounds.
I had a weak spark and found thiscoil-small.jpg

Last edited:
I tested resistance and it all tested fine, and i checked grounds they also seem fine. I removed the coil to sheck for cracks and it looked fine untill i accidentally droped it on the ground and the outer plastic broke off of it, i believe there were some cracks i wasn't seeing. Is there any way to put a normal car coil on or is that just a bad idea? Also is there any way to know if the switchbox is ok?

Back