Logo

omc 2.3 ford with rochester carb

w200er

I'm working on an OMC with the Ford 2.3 engine and Rochester 2G carburetor. In trying to correct an issue with cold engine start-up, I noticed that the fast idle cam on the choke linkage was basically smooth with no "steps", thereby unable to increase the idle to aid in cold starts. Assuming that the "steps" had been worn off after years of use, I ordered a new "stepped" cam. However, the carburetor parts web site also listed a smooth cam for "marine applications".
So, what gives? Should that carburetor have a stepped or non-stepped fast idle cam on the choke linkage? Thanks.

Correct there are no 'steps' that would be dangerous on a marine engine because the fast idle would make it slam into gear, what you do is open the throttle all the way to let the choke close then set your throttle control about 1/3 fwd for fast idle. Then crank it over till it starts, let it warm up 1200 rpm or so, then bring it back to slow idle.
If you have the OMC OE control, pull the handle out towards you, that allows you to use the throttle without putting it in gear. Aftermarket controls use a button you push in the center of the handle to do the same thing.

Thank you both for your responses. What louc suggests makes sense to this old salt, and that is what I would do. But, this is my daughter's boat, and she is of the "turn the key and hit the throttle" generation. (read: fuel injection) Choke? What's that?....Let it warm up? Why? I was just trying to make it a little less frustrating for her.
So, nix the stepped cam, keep the smooth. Got it ! Thanks.

Back