Logo

Mercury 50 hp Manual trim assist and beaching

aglbrown

Hi There, Some advice please!
I have an early 90's mercury 50 2 stroke with manual trim and tilt. Testing the functionality using the lever seems to work 100% either in lock or free to manually tilt down and up. I will be installing it on my RIB that I use for beach launching and upon return normally hit the beach behind a swell at close to WOT. Checking the kick-up functionality with the T&T set to unlock and manually lifting the foot, I see the tilt locks automatically preventing the motor to kick up when lifting rapidly - lifting it at a slower speed, it lifts no problem. I'm assuming that the tilt locks to prevent the motor kicking up when gunning in reverse, but I'm a little hesitant to install if I'm going to go over the wheel when hitting the beach at speed and losing a transom. I see the valves on the tilt piston cater for an underwater strike etc. Question is does anyone out there know if this functionality works ok for beaching? Is there a modification necessary?
Thanks Andy

Just leave it forward gear and it will tilt when you hit the beach. A correctly functioning manual tilt system will only tilt up in forward gear and locked down in neutral or reverse.

Ok - had a good look. There is no mechanical connection / interaction between the gear selection and the manual trim/tilt status. Back to square 1

Back