Logo

Chasing no spark issue 1989 Evinrude 70hp. and found voltage to black and yellow.

Bdumas

New here and new to me boat. Like the title says 1989 70hp Rude. History, it was running like crap, Hard start, misfiring, so I did the normal stuff. VRO Delete, New carb kits, Plugs, found a deal on 3 new CDI Coils (3 for 40 with plug wires) so I put them on too. seemed to run great on the muffs took i to the lake no go. Back on the muffs would run again intermittent misfire. So we bit the bullet and ordered a power pack from amazon. Plugged it up ran great back to the lake it kept stalling out. Either flooding or starving for fuel.

Test barrel purchased. Tried to restart it in the barrel, it tried to start, fire on a couple of cylinders then a back fire then no fire. Checked spark with spark gap tester. No fire on any cylinder. Ohm Tested stator, and trigger checked good. Pulled flywheel all looked good under there, took rectifier leads off still no spark. Ordered another power pack Amazon has a good return policy. Plugged it up No spark??

Test of the black and yellow to ground. Key off multimeter set at 20v Red plug connected .00V, unhooked the plug .01V.
Key on " " Red plug connected .13V, unhooked the plug .01V.

is this enough to fry the CDI pack? CDI says 2 Volts or less is in speck.

Repair shops around here are booked for a month.
Thanks for the help.
Brian

Last edited:
Back