Logo

Alpha 1 leak issues?

DeepIssues

Just bought my first I/O. On inspection, no visible signs of leakage. 189 bumpy trailer trip home, leakage at the lower unit seam and front bolt. First inclination is to just tighten everything. Should I be more concerned?

After watching some assembly/disassembly videos, no one seems to be using any gaskets/RTV. Does the lower unit simply marry flange to flange?

I have photos, but can't seem to post them.

Find the merc manual before you do damage something
There is a small flat O ring between the halves , without it it will leak gear oil
not telling us what you have make it only a guess

Last edited:
Find the merc manual before you do damage something
There is a small flat O ring between the halves , without it it will leak gear oil
not telling us what you have make it only a guess

What info do I need to provide beyond Alpha 1? It looks like there are several coats of paint over the id plate.

2X on the quad ring missing being a likely source and getting the correct manual.

I would also be prudent to get a water pump kit if you know it hasn't been changed lately....

Based on your questions
Bring it to a certified Mercruiser repair center.

RTV..... really.........

the only seal between the unit is a small flat O ring called a "quad seal"
if you try to substitute anything else it will cost you a new drive

Last edited:
I wasn't looking for a workaround, just trying to understand it.

Upon further inspection, the couple of drips where the two casings meet look like they probably got flung there during transit and are not coming from the seam between the cases. It looks like it is coming from the top of the shift shaft.

For some reason, I still can't upload pics. Here is a link. https://drive.google.com/open?id=13uh7WKjUG6hpfFsUlxK0gbriPWOiLTRy

That drive looks to be in somewhat rough shape. (Salt water)

All the pictures of parts diagrams wont help.

Do you have a pressure checker?
Have you ever worked on a Mercruiser outdrive?
Do you have any special tools that may be needed to disassemble certain components if need be?
Do you have a Mercruiser Service Manual for that outdrive?

If you answer NO to any of these questions...................refer to (A)

(A). You need to have it professionally looked at and diagnosed. Again, Bring it to a certified Repair shop and have it completely checked out and fixed properly.

This is the only seal for the oil passage
click to enlarge
BT, you've been very helpful, thank you. So, would your thinking be that if they lost the o-ring the oil would move into the cavity and then maybe splash up and over? It took a rough ride from NY to RI. I pulled the drive today and got some additional pics...still can't upload, but here's a link...https://drive.google.com/open?id=1qeyFUqI9_reH9q3IxDzjGW4JqhhyBcz8 Anything here that makes you think something new?

There is a little play in the lower shift shaft, maybe 1/4 vertical and a little side to side. Is that normal?

Thanks again,
Ken

vertical play is acceptable side to side is not of the lower units splined shaft. The upper brass shoe will move a bit., When you split the unit did you find that seal?

The seal between the two casings was in place. There is no seal or remnants of a seal at the upper steering shaft. Also looks like upper drive shaft seal is toast. I’ve added new photos to the prior link. I haven’t taken it out yet, but it looks like there is copper sheared where the water outlet goes into top end. Doesn’t look like it matches pipe though which looks uniform.

You can ask all the questions you want,
Your fishing for an answer with nothing but visual trouble shooting. Which will not work.

There are specific ways to troubleshoot.
That drive is in rough condition.
It is clear by your photos.

Try answering my questions and as I said,
If you answer no to any of them. You need to bring it to a professional.

Pull the copper tube out of the water pump housing and you will see how it goes together. Its a hand press fit into the upper, .

Back