Logo

Hole in lower crankcase

Cody413

My uncle has had this boat for about a year now and the motor has always ran great and still does. Was on it yesterday all day not a problem. Got home to flush it out and noticed a hole in crankcase. Still runs fine not a issue. What could of caused it and if it’s not effecting the way it runs should it be a something I should worry About and just get hole fixed?

59b730ba-c49f-47e2-a9c3-54cae7da185f

Most 2 strokes do not run well with a hole in the crankcase.------But are you talking about the gearcase / propeller area.-------Drain holes are normal there.----So post pictures so we talk the same lingo.

I’ve been trying to post pictures. I’m using my phone on here. And they are not submitting. Let me keep trying to get it there. This hole definitely isn’t supposed to be there

Looks like a connecting rod let go.------Or a piece broke off a piston.-------Your motor needs to come apart.-------Or a replacement powerhead is another option.

Still doesn’t make sense it runs fine with no problems. He took it out today again. No knocks like it was never there. Bottom bearing maybe? Guess only one way to tell is to take it apart and fine out

Yeah calling the shop tomorrow and gonna have them look at it. Depending what happened might just be repowering the boat with newer engine. Thank you everyone for the response. Will post what they find.

Got a update. Did compression check on all cylinders. They all have 92-96lb on every cylinder. It looks like the power head was rebuilt or replaced before. And I think when they tried to get it off they used a screw driver or something and bent out where the hole was or something. I’m only in town for a couple days but the motor is running flawless. Got the hole welded up and gonna keep going with it.

Back