Logo

4.3 omc starter issues

Ncycenas

I recently picked up an 89 four Winns that was not running. I went to replace the starter and all I could find was one with 2 posts. The existing has 3 posts. I tried to wire it and the only way I can get it to work is to connect the ignition wire to power but then that bypasses the ignition. Is there a way to wire it with 2?

Last edited:
You don’t have the correct solenoid, you need the one with 4 terminals (1 goes straight into the starte) the other three are the big red cable from the battery, the small yellowred wire from the ignition switch (S terminal) and the purple or purple black wire from the ignition coil (I terminal).

Last edited:
I recently picked up an 89 four Winns that was not running. I went to replace the starter and all I could find was one with 2 posts. The existing has 3 posts. I tried to wire it and the only way I can get it to work is to connect the ignition wire to power but then that bypasses the ignition.
The key switch ignition circuit should not be involved.

Is there a way to wire it with 2?
Did the previous starter motor have a circuit connected to what you're calling the third post?
If so, what color was it?

You don’t have the correct solenoid, you need the one with 4 terminals (1 goes straight into the starter) the other three are the big red cable from the battery,
That would be the "common" cable that routes from the MBSS.

the small yellow/red wire from the ignition switch (S terminal)
That would be the Solenoid circuit. (it triggers the solenoid and closes the contacts).

and the purple or purple black wire from the ignition coil (I terminal).
That terminal can be either an "R" or an "I".
During cranking, it will send
non-resisted power to the ignition coil.

Ncycenas, if you end up returning that starter motor, I would suggest picking up a HTGR/PMGR motor.
It will be smaller, will consume less Amps and will spin your engine over faster.

Back