Logo

2004 bf225 engine problems

tun2000

Hi everyone I guess I am looking for an opinion as to whether to rebuild or get new powerhead. It has been using oil for a while now but recently it started to run rough. Went to change out the plugs and discovered that 4 plugs were black and that the #6 plug also had rust on bottom. after starting it up, it still ran rough, disconnected the coil packs one at a time and found that only 2 made a difference. Not sure if I should rebuild it or replace it.

Being 2004 it's probably not cost effective to throw much money at it unless it's had fresh water use all it's life.

Agree with Ian.

If you have an eBay seller's account and/or access to Craig's List, you could part it out and sell the individual parts to recover a significant portion of the cost of a new engine. For example, the engine cover alone, if in good shape, should fetch $700 - $800. Same for the upper cowling pieces. The tilt/trim mechanism and a decent lower unit are also worth a lot.

Well, if you have a lot of time and the talent to do a rebuild, that's certainly an option, if you want to give up a month or two without the use of the boat. But you also need to consider the other systems that likely have high wear - the entire fuel system, the tilt/trim system, the lower unit, etc. There are likely problems lurking in those systems, too.

Back