Logo

Tohatsu 9.9 carburetor help! PLEASE!

ripperace

Contributing Member
Ok, this is a new one for me, as I've never had this happen to me before. I'm presently working on a 2015 Merc Pro Kicker 9.9 4 stroke (Tohatsu built) outboard. It came in for running problems, which I've troubleshot down to carburetor issues. So I order a repair kit (part number 3V1-87122-0). The old float was warped and out of spec. (Book states between 9.5mm to 10mm) I assemble this thing with the genuine parts, reinstall the carburetor back on the machine, and the primer bulb will not get firm at all. Instead, the fuel comes gushing out of the main nozzle in the carburetor, thereby flooding the holy hell out of the engine! I've had this carburetor on and off this machine, I'll bet a dozen and a half times trying in vain to figure out just what the hell is going on with this thing, and I'm lost.

What I've found:
When the fuel is pumped in by way of the bulb, the bulb will not get hard.
When you turn the carburetor upside down, you can't get fuel into the carburetor by way of the bulb (bulb is immediately hard).
I've tried three different new floats and float valves, all with the same exact above listed results.
The float seam is perfectly parallel to the carb body when inverted.
It's almost like this float is too small for this carburetor, as it WILL NOT shut fuel flow down unless you invert the carburetor.

Has anybody here had this problem?
If you did, what did you do to correct it?

Last edited:
OK, Tohatsu 9.8A3 power head, If it is the EU style carb, with accelerator pump, you may need to get the Merc float and valve.

OK, Tohatsu 9.8A3 power head, If it is the EU style carb, with accelerator pump, you may need to get the Merc float and valve.

It is. The square looking float. The reason I got the Tohatsu kit is because the Merc kit is double the cost. Yamaha looks to have ran the same kit as well. On a side note, I was messing with it again last night.

Old float, new float needle? Barfs gas.
New float, old float needle? Barfs gas.
Old float, old float needle (the stuff I pulled from it)? Still barfs gas.

I’m willing to try it, but I’m not real hopeful... Is there a difference between the Merc and Tohatsu kits? Because I went through and looked, and it appears the kits from all three (Merc, Tohatsu, Yamaha) are identical, and probably made in the same place. This is my first Tohatsu built Merc I’ve had in my shop to work on.

It's a Kehin carb, used in both applications. Should be the same kit. But the EU version with accelerator pump MAY have a different float. Somehow it's not seating. I've never had that issue. Is the needle correctly in the slot of the float? Yet it seats with the carb inverted? Weird.

Back