Logo

1972 Evinrude 25HP Sportster Power Battery Cable

scarpozzi

I'm about ready to crank up my 1972 Evinrude after replacing the plugs, rebuilding the carb and fuel pump and putting in new lower seals and realized after pulling the cord a few times that it might be easier to use the starter. The problem is I'm missing a power/battery cable for this thing. Model: 25252R. The plug is Evinrude Part# 385231

I've got the original plug, but about 25 years ago, the wires started to fray and were cut short and new wire was spliced. After sitting since 1997, the cables have deteriorated and dry rotted to the point where the insulation is pretty much gone on all cables. The cable, Evinrude Part 385231, is no longer available and even on the used market is scarce and expensive.

Does someone have knowledge of where I can find a pin diagram of this plug with proper wire color codes? I'm going to try to rebuild the old molded plug by dissecting it, but don't have many cables or insulation to work with. It may change as I cut into the rubber and dig out the wires. I'm also curious what folks think the OEM wire gauges may be. (I just so I don't oversize something and have trouble making it fit back in the plug when I remold it)

The plug appears to have 2 big female connectors for positive and negative on the battery, but then 4 more female connectors for another 5 wires. The plug has only 6 pins for 7 wires, I think it's the armature plate wires that maybe share a pin to the key switch?

I'm about ready to crank up my 1972 Evinrude after replacing the plugs, rebuilding the carb and fuel pump and putting in new lower seals and realized after pulling the cord a few times that it might be easier to use the starter. The problem is I'm missing a power/battery cable for this thing. Model: 25252R. The plug is Evinrude Part# 385231

I've got the original plug, but about 25 years ago, the wires started to fray and were cut short and new wire was spliced. After sitting since 1997, the cables have deteriorated and dry rotted to the point where the insulation is pretty much gone on all cables. The cable, Evinrude Part 385231, is no longer available and even on the used market is scarce and expensive.

Does someone have knowledge of where I can find a pin diagram of this plug with proper wire color codes? I'm going to try to rebuild the old molded plug by dissecting it, but don't have many cables or insulation to work with. It may change as I cut into the rubber and dig out the wires. I'm also curious what folks think the OEM wire gauges may be. (I just so I don't oversize something and have trouble making it fit back in the plug when I remold it)

The plug appears to have 2 big female connectors for positive and negative on the battery, but then 4 more female connectors for another 5 wires. The plug has only 6 pins for 7 wires, I think it's the armature plate wires that maybe share a pin to the key switch?
Can you post some pictures of what you got?

The plug in feature was for " ultra convenience " of taking the motor off the boat.-----There is nothing to stop you from wiring directly to crank it over / engage the electric choke / or run and stop this motor.

The plug in feature was for " ultra convenience " of taking the motor off the boat.-----There is nothing to stop you from wiring directly to crank it over / engage the electric choke / or run and stop this motor.

I know. I've just come a long way in cleaning, painting, throwing new decals on this engine. I was hoping to keep the internal wiring harness in-tact. I can definitely bypass it if all else fails.

I'm just looking forward to the challenge of hacking the plug since they are hard to come by.

I was able to dig the rubber out and get new 6 gauge wires in. I replaced 2 of the 5 12 gauge wires in the harness and will get the others done after remolding the bottom half of the plug. I'm letting the new rubber cure before working on the armature plate wires.

It's going to be fun seeing how it sets up. I made a few holes for the next round of molding to bite. I plugged it in to use the pins to help maintain proper shape while it cures and have zip ties holding the wires in position. By Tuesday,I may be ready to wire a new starter key.

I can't figure out how to add an image or I'd share progress. The upload process isn't saving the 4mb image.

Last edited:
I just placed an order from nymarine.ca last week or so... They do have cables I see, but not this particular model/part number.

Here are pictures of my project start to finish. I shaped the plug by hand and used the motor/zip ties to help shape it while it cured. Clamps helped keep the wires from moving and kept the whole thing still while it setup. I spent about $40 in new wire and another $10 for Sugru to replace the rubber. I may may use a sealer on it as well to help keep it from breaking down.

brokenplug.jpgStrippedPlug.jpgSolderedPlug.jpgPhaseOneMolding.jpgPhaseTwoMolding.jpgFinishedMolding.jpg

Back