Logo

2000 Johnson 70hp check engine light

outback32

Regular Contributor
So i took the boat Saturday night the rivers really low. we decided to call it a night it ran the engine a total of maybe 5min at a qtr throttle. then accelerated quite a bit to get it loaded. I noticed the check engine light and hot light were on so I shut it off. apparently it sucked mud up in the water inlet. I ran it at home the next day on muffs and muddy water cane out the water outlet. I let it idle on the muffs for awhile and got on it a bit. the hot light never came back on and the water coming out never got hot. but the check engine light is still on. wondering what to do about the check engine light. thanks

So i took the boat Saturday night the rivers really low. we decided to call it a night it ran the engine a total of maybe 5min at a qtr throttle. then accelerated quite a bit to get it loaded. I noticed the check engine light and hot light were on so I shut it off. apparently it sucked mud up in the water inlet. I ran it at home the next day on muffs and muddy water cane out the water outlet. I let it idle on the muffs for awhile and got on it a bit. the hot light never came back on and the water coming out never got hot. but the check engine light is still on. wondering what to do about the check engine light. thanks
The check engine lite let's you know when a sensor is outside its values.need diagnostic program to tell switch one.

If its the 2 stroke model there is no software needed.. 4 stroke will flash code if turn key on but not started..

sorry its the 2 stroke
The check engine lite means nothing to your motor, you probably have a faulty tach,but need to check wiring first.it's a tan wire with a trader I can't remember the color of. Will check and post. Does your horn sound when the check eng lite comes on?

no it doesnt sound I did notice 1 plug wire is cracked when i grabbed it and it shocked the pi** out of me lol. it has ngk plugs in it that are fairly new should I put champions in it or will the ngks be ok. lastly are sierra wires a good replacement

no it doesnt sound I did notice 1 plug wire is cracked when i grabbed it and it shocked the pi** out of me lol. it has ngk plugs in it that are fairly new should I put champions in it or will the ngks be ok. lastly are sierra wires a good replacement
The wire color is tan with orange tracer..starts at harness connections at motor an plugs into back of tachometer. If it is shorter to ground the lite will shine. Will your check eng lite shine with key on (other than self test)? I'm an OEM guy and for sure use the correct champion plugs.

Last edited:
instead of starting another thread il just ask on this one. Last year I had a no start issue mechanic replaced the timer base. ever since then it doesn't want to idle on the water very well. it runs great except when your trying to load the boat or anytime your slowing down. I was wondering how to adjust the idle and see if that would help.

ok so all the lights lit on the tach is there a way to check the tach and make sure its good. Its a faria tach and there around 150 new. I pulled it out of the dash it has a ground wire a purple power wire and a plug. I checked its getting 12 volts to the terminal

another thing thats confusing is everything i see when searching the problem with the tach. is everything says theres a sender wire that goes to the back of the tach. I have no sender wire to the tach. Thetes not even a place for it just + - and the plug.

Back