Logo

Have a question on 2003 Mercury 25hp?

Cody413

I recently bought a 13ft gheenoe with a 2003 25hp mercury 2 stroke. It’s a electric start, stick steering and Motor runs or ran flawless ( buddy owned it ) Untill he hit something and now it has a bent prop shaft. I haven’t got home ( I’m a OTR truck driver) to really look at it and to see what damage it has. I was wondering if it’s worth it to get a LU rebuild or to just buy a whole new LU? I plan on Doing a complete rebuild in gheenoe. So I want it to last even if it costs a little more. I only paid $1300 for the boat,engine and trailer. So I’m not to deep in it. If I replace the LU, what’s compatible with that motor? Thanks
ebd9f065-e994-49d9-9195-fd3c4d569f58

You can buy just the shaft on this site $358.25; if the internals are ok this could be a plan or you could have it straightened. You have to use the serial Nr. to track the parts.

Thank you for the reply. I’ve never really did any work on the Lower unit I usually just did minor stuff to small outboard engines. My uncle usually did the all the major stuff. So what should I be looking for in the Lower unit to check the internals? Metal shaving in oil ? Loose or worn seals? I’m not a expert mechanic but have done my fair share of work. So staying away from a shop unless I have to would be great. Gonna be a first for me getting into a LU. Thanks

Back