Logo

Timing Question

kwassing

After replacing the Stator I want to make sure the timing is correct. After looking at the manual, it says primary pickup is 2° BTDC and max timing is 27° BTDC. Does this mean that in forward gear at idle, the timing should be 2° btdc and at WOT the timing should be 27° BTDC?

Not so.-----Maximum timing is set.-----It does NOT MATTER where engine timing is at idle.------Pick-up timing is where throttle plates open.------Do not make any adjustments if you are not sure of this concept !

So I need to make sure the timing is at 2°BTDC when the carb [FONT=&quot]plates begin to open? I thought I understood the concept but now im having doubts.
[/FONT]

Correct , when throttle plates open the timing should show 2 degrees BTDC.----Most likely a motor in good condition will run too fast there.----So timing is retarded to slow it down for a smooth idle.------If it idles at 6 degrees ATDC and is smooth it is good.

thats pretty much the issue im having, it dies at idle under 1500 rpm and dies when put in gear.

Backstory, was gifted the boat from family after it sat under a tarp for 7 years. Did as much research as I could, bought the seloc manual and even bought the online seloc subscription.

Cleaned up the wiring (lots of loose and cut wires throughout the boat), changed the lower oil, changed the impeller, Took the carbs apart, soaked them in a carb cleaner bucket overnight, washed it out and blew it out with a compressor. Rebuilt them with all new parts, changed all the gaskets around the carb, fuel pump gasket, replaced all the fuel lines. After that, the motor ran great and after some adjustments to the idle got her to idle at 800rpm. Everything seemed great. After about 6 months of regular use, couldnt get her to start. After some diagnostics, thanks to this site and information on here, found out the stator was out. So I replaced the Stator. Took as many precautions as I could to put everything back exactly as it was. Ever since, she wont idle at the proper rpm or in forward gear under 1500 rpm. Compression test are great, almost too good for that age of a motor, I dont remember the exact number, but it was either 135 or 140[FONT=&quot]psi across all cylinders. Dead on same psi on all 4. TDC is on point with the pointer.

The only thing I can think of is the timing is off after what you have said. I had it set at 2° BTDC in forward gear in a tub with no propeller. Im not sure what position the butterflies were in, to get it running and staying running id say the butterflies were more than barely open.
[/FONT]

Im sorry, I meant I have only tested that the plugs do spark, and that I can see the spark from the console. I have not tested the spark jump at 3/8".

This is NOT an auto engine! Ignore the idle spark timing and set it at WOT.

On the stalling issue, add a 1/4 to a 1/2 turn OUT (after finding best idle) on the idle mixture screws (since these carbs don't have an accelerator pump).

Jeff

This is NOT an auto engine! Ignore the idle spark timing and set it at WOT.

On the stalling issue, add a 1/4 to a 1/2 turn OUT (after finding best idle) on the idle mixture screws (since these carbs don't have an accelerator pump).

Jeff

The WOT degrees is 27° BTDC listed in the manual as max timing?

I guess im confused at what the manual says. It only says Pickup timing at 2° BTDC and Max timing 27°. Is this cranking timing or 27° at WOT on the water

I found another thread that answered my question. I got it set and she is running. Also to get her idling at 800 without dying. Thanks Racer and Jeff

Just to post an update. With the muffs on, everything runs great, shifts into gear and doesnt die, worked good. Got the water, motor is back to dying soon as its put into gear. Just falls on its face and dies. Took a chance and removed the vent hose on the gas tank, and it fixed the issue! Weird thing is, I can blow through the hose and feel it out the vent hole.. SO maybe it is just restricted too much. Either way, just wanted to post an update in case someone else is having the same problem. Thanks everyone

Back