Logo

need some 290DPA lower unit enlightenment

tedm2

Contributing Member
I was just resealing my lower unit and got to looking at the volvo workshop manual and noticed that I have a part that doesn't show up in the manuals or web schematics. The first part I have on my current shaft after the bearing box is a splined washer that fits over the rear prop shaft that stops just short of the seals. I assume it is there to keep the rear prop from riding on the lower unit but I found it odd that I could not verify it exists.
Is that what it's for? Have I been missing something all these years?

I was just resealing my lower unit and got to looking at the volvo workshop manual and noticed that I have a part that doesn't show up in the manuals or web schematics. The first part I have on my current shaft after the bearing box is a splined washer that fits over the rear prop shaft that stops just short of the seals.
That internally splined washer is a prop shaft spacer.
It fits onto the FWD propeller shaft prior to the FWD propeller being installed.
The internal splines are there to allow it to slip onto and over the prop shaft splines.
Once in position, the splines serve no purpose.

I assume it is there to keep the rear prop from riding on the lower unit but I found it odd that I could not verify it exists.
No, it's there to prevent the FWD propeller spaced from the bearing carrier face.

Is that what it's for? Have I been missing something all these years?
I have repaired lower units due to an owner forgetting to install the FWD propeller spacer.
About $800 + later, they are back in business.

Don't forget that the AFT prop also requires a spacer.

I believe we are talking about the same thing. I referred to the rear prop shaft (the larger of the 2 shafts) I am assuming you call this the fwd prop since it goes on first.
From the diagrams I am looking at first item is a line cutter, the fwd prop, plastic washer, lock washer, prop nut.
Then the rear prop, plastic washer and finally the nose cone. I don't see a heavy steel washer listed or shown in the parts.

Which spacer are you referring to for the rear prop?

i now see a note that the line cutters have been replaced with thrust washers. Is that the name of the washer I am asking about?

Not true!

When the line cutters were available from Volvo Penta, they still had a thrust washer inside of them.
When the line cutters were no longer available, the thrust washers became slightly larger (to account for the missing line cutter thickness).

Whether you have a thrust washer by itself, or a combination thrust washer/line cutter, the thrust washer is imperative.

Back