Logo

Vovlo Penta engine with a Bravo II outdrive. Ricardo?

ffmiller77

Well I am about to possibly buy a 2007 Rinker 280 Express Cruiser and have a concern. It has a 8.1L Volvo Penta engine (316 hours) with a Bravo II out-drive. It had this set up when the current owner bought it in 2014. Sounds like the dealer that was selling it, had it sent out to get the composite out-drive replaced. The shop where it was being done had a Bravo II. So they took all the volvo stuff off and then installed all the Mercruiser stuff. They said it was the much cheaper option at the time. I talked with the mechanic/shop that did it and they made it sound like no big deal, after replacing all the Volvo stuff with Merc stuff its good to go. People I have talked to have never heard of this being done. One shop here locally (Portland, Oregon) did a little research and talked to their techs and said that it can be done but you would have to take all the volvo stuff off and merc stuff being put on. But at first they were very confused haha. So I guess what I am asking is, has anyone else heard of this and would you buy a boat if it had been done. We really like the boat, and other then this one issue, its been well taken care of and is in great shape. Also, I am getting a mechanical inspection done and a marine survey. I know its random but thanks!!!

Last edited:
I'll admit that going from Volvo Penta to Merc would be a step backwards.
However, V/P did have issues with the composite drives, and perhaps that was the reason for going another route.
If a Merc dealer did the work, that would explain the BII.

Sorry. Going from a Volvo composite to a B2 drive is not a backwards step. Actually that goes for any VP drive.

FYI Volvo approved the job when threatened by a class action law suit. We have removed the crappy Volvo composite drives and TA's and replaced them with Mercuiser packages on Volvo's dime. Complete packages.

Sorry. Going from a Volvo composite to a B2 drive is not a backwards step. Actually that goes for any VP drive.

FYI Volvo approved the job when threatened by a class action law suit. We have removed the crappy Volvo composite drives and TA's and replaced them with Mercuiser packages on Volvo's dime. Complete packages.

By Mercruiser packages, do you mean replacing the engine along with the outdrive? So that you have a Merc engine and outdrive? Or did some have a Volvo Penta engines and you put on a Merc (Bravo II) outdrives. I have been told that basically everything Volvo has to be taken off and then Merc stuff put onto the Volvo engine. It can work if done right.

I'll admit that going from Volvo Penta to Merc would be a step backwards.
However, V/P did have issues with the composite drives, and perhaps that was the reason for going another route.
If a Merc dealer did the work, that would explain the BII.

I really appreciate you responding. I talked with the Mechanic/Tech that possibly did it. He said it was replaced because it had the composite outdrive. Sounds like a Sea Ray dealer up in Fife Wa. had the boat and sent it to a shop (Tinglewilde Marine in Olympia) to have the composite outdrive replaced. They deal mostly in Merc stuff and had everything to install the bravo II. This was cheaper then buying a Volvo outdrive to install so the dealer of course went the cheaper route. Then the current owner bought it. I am getting the feeling that normally it wouldn't make sense to do this, but if a shop had all the stuff it can be done. Doesn't sound like it happens often, but if done right then its not a big deal. Just don't want to buy a boat and then find out its a nightmare haha. I am sure the mechanical inspection and survey will help ease my concern.

By Mercruiser packages, do you mean replacing the engine along with the outdrive? So that you have a Merc engine and outdrive? Or did some have a Volvo Penta engines and you put on a Merc (Bravo II) outdrives. I have been told that basically everything Volvo has to be taken off and then Merc stuff put onto the Volvo engine. It can work if done right.

First, the 8.1 is not made by Volvo or Merc. It is a GM engine. We installed complete Merc packages paid for by Volvo... Nothing wrong with the install if they used the red painted engine... With Merc TA and exhaust....

Back