Logo

Installed batteri polarity the wrong way

Bigdrago

So I did it. Connected + to - and vice versa, started the engine and I saw white smoke in the engine compartment. Shut it off. I have been driving it on the ocean a couple of times.
Engine: Mercruiser 1.7 sterndrive (boat from 2006)
BUT. Today I noticed this:

20200518_161317.jpg.fd65696e19568f9fc3dd7f6638430ac3.jpg

It became dust when I touched it. So lucky that this didnt happen when I was out on the ocean. I can see it had a blue plastic on it. I have measured with multimeter and I cant see that it is interfering with other cables. I will install a new blue wire (2.5^2 ?) from the starter directly to the wire harness where it connects to the instrumentpanel harness.

But does this cable split up and go other ways? There is a LOT of work if I am disconnecting all cables on the engine. I cant tell from the wiring diagram. https://www.dropbox.com/s/bgid6zr4ee1462t/Wiring diagram 3970674.pdf?dl=0

Any idea what I should do? I guess this is the wire that gives power to the instrumentpanel etc.

looks like the the wire supplies +12VDC to the circuit breaker, the starter relay, and connects the alternator output back to the battery.

surprised it started....is the alternator charging the battery when the engine is running?

Have to check tomorrow if more wires are fried. I hope only the wire marked in red is the one that is fried. But I cant remember that this blue wire goes to the circuit breaker. It look like it goes straight to the wire harness to the front of the boat.

kanslettes.jpg

What do u think? Those marked red are burned. But I cant figure out where they connect alltogether in the wire harness.
I have removed the blue cable from 50amp fuse, start relay, starter and dynamo. Now I think nothing is connected that could cause shorting.

20200525_171834.jpg

I will install a new 4mm2 cable from starter to 50amp fuse. The connecter on the fuse will act as a cable connector. From there a blue wire to dynamo, startrelay and starter. What u think about this?

20200525_172517.jpg

Working perfect! The alternator survived. When starting the engine up I have to throttle up a second to get the alternator to start charging :)

The tachometer and trim indicator died. Have to replace them though

Back