Logo

Timing question

JimA82

Regular Contributor
I installed the Pertronix electronic ignition yesterday, started it and it is idling at 1400 r.p.m. I need to get a timing light from a friend, as I am sure I can do this. But do you set the idle prior to timing, or time first then adjust idle? Seems like one or the other wash each other out?

Specs read BTDC 12 then light setting 26-28 27-29 Before top dead center 12 does that mean I line the 12 BTDC mark on the crank with the pointer mounted to the block, make sure it's on compression stroke and then make sure the rotor button points to plug wire #1, ?

Thanks! Jim

Last edited:
I installed the Pertronix electronic ignition yesterday, started it and it is idling at 1400 r.p.m. I need to get a timing light from a friend, as I am sure I can do this. But do you set the idle prior to timing, or time first then adjust idle? Seems like one or the other wash each other out?
For an initial timing, you would not mess with the idle adjustment.
You would first set BASE advance, and then if need be, adjust the low speed circuit and idle stop screw.

Specs read BTDC 12 then light setting 26-28 27-29 Before top dead center 12 does that mean I line the 12 BTDC mark on the crank with the pointer mounted to the block, make sure it's on compression stroke and then make sure the rotor button points to plug wire #1, ?
Assuming that your timing marks are legible, you will use the strobing light projected by the timing light.
This strobed light flash will illuminate the marks as per engine RPM.

See your Volvo Penta OEM service or work shop manual for the ignition advance specs.
DO NOT deviate.

NOTE: this distributor is known to be prone to rust/corrosion issues within the flyweight and return spring system.
Make dang sure that the ignition advance is doing what it should be doing as per the OEM specs, in particular at the higher RPM range!

Thanks! Jim

I love my Pertronix ignition for my AQ130C. I may have checked the timing once or twice at most since I installed it 14 years ago and the engine runs great, although I suppose it would not hurt to check the timing a little more often. :eek:

I love my Pertronix ignition for my AQ130C. I may have checked the timing once or twice at most since I installed it 14 years ago and the engine runs great,
The Pertronix unit will typically go for years trouble-free.

although I suppose it would not hurt to check the timing a little more often. :eek:

Yes, as noted, the flyweights and governing springs can become rust compromised.
If the system does not advance properly, you'll leave performance on the table.
If the springs have rusted and/or lost their tension, the system my throw excessive advance at the engine, and you'll risk engine damage.

Always set BASE advance, and then increase RPM and check the progressive and TA as per OEM instructions.

Back