Logo

Honda BF225 restarting issue after running

rustybird

I have a 2010 Honda BF 225 with 500 hrs. I have a problem that i cant seem to pin point my issue. The past few trips the outboard will start fine at the dock but after I have ran the engine for 30 min or so and turn it off to fish it will not restart. The engine turns over but will not start. Sometimes when I pump the fuel bulb the engine will start sometimes I have to turn the battery disconnect switch off to get the engine to start. Then it runs for 3 mins or so and acts like it running out of fuel and shuts down. I had this same problem last year and seemed to fix the problem by replacing the Racor LP fuel filter and LP fuel pump. The problem came back this year so I replaced the HP fuel filter and Racor filter again I also drained the VST but the problem has not been fixed.

Running 3 minutes or so tells me that the fuel in the VST may not be replenishing at the rate it should be. So the first thing that comes to mind is that the float valve in the VST may be sticking closed. See part #1 at:
https://www.boats.net/catalog/honda...225ak1-la-2007-and-later/vapor-separator-assy

However, before diving into the VST, try running with your fuel tank cap loosened to eliminate the possibility that you have a clogged breather vent to the fuel tank.

Also, check for kinks in the fuel line, especially where it enters the engine compartment through that big black round grommet.

Hopefully some other BF 225 owners will chirp in with other ideas before breaking open the VST.

Thanks, Ian - should have thought of that first thing. Just getting old, I guess.

Rustybird - To expand on Ian's excellent observation, note part 12 in the diagram referenced in post # 2. It has a water inflow and water outflow. That is used to cool the fuel to prevent vapor lock. Make sure you have good flow going in and coming out. If not, then you will need to remove it and clean it out. Also, over time, in saltwater, these water jackets will corrode through and allow water to get into the fuel.

I will check the cooler this weekend for water flow. How much water pressure should I read on the water pressure gauge when running? The motor is not getting hot but I was thinking maybe the water pump is getting weak. Last weekend I noticed I was running about 10 - 12 PSI.

Just a word on the cooler, blow back through the hoses, the outlet can get blocked and cause the issues you have. The water jacket itself is not often blocked

Back