Logo

Electric Fuel pump question

Carolina_OS

I have a 350 vortec carbed engine. It has an electric fuel pump on the side of the engine and another on the bulkhead feeding the one on the engine. Boat is new to me and i was told that the second pump was to prime the primary if needed. Yesterday the engine stalled after trolling for 30 minutes, and would crank back a few times and idle, but only run 30 seconds or so. After thinking that fuel pump may be the problem, i tried using the momentary switch on the secondary pump every few seconds and it would continue to run. After traveling a few minutes like that, i stopped using the secondary pump and engine continued to run, and accelerate. I stopped it at the dock and it cranked back up and took me to the ramp and and loaded without further problems. This is a 25 foot CC offshore boat only in the lake for testing. Any thoughts about if the fuel pump can pump intermittently or not. I just installed new tanks and checked the fuel for water.
Phil

Ayuh,...... There should be No reason for 2 fuel pumps, so my guess is, somebody is hiding an underlying fuel system problem,......

I have a 350 vortec carbed engine. It has an electric fuel pump on the side of the engine and another on the bulkhead feeding the one on the engine.
I'm with Bill..... there's no need nor use for two fuel pumps.
As said, there is an underlying problem that is being masked.

Boat is new to me and i was told that the second pump was to prime the primary if needed.
Not necessary if the engine mounted electric fuel pump is working correctly.

Yesterday the engine stalled after trolling for 30 minutes, and would crank back a few times and idle, but only run 30 seconds or so. After thinking that fuel pump may be the problem, i tried using the momentary switch on the secondary pump every few seconds and it would continue to run. After traveling a few minutes like that, i stopped using the secondary pump and engine continued to run, and accelerate. I stopped it at the dock and it cranked back up and took me to the ramp and and loaded without further problems. This is a 25 foot CC offshore boat only in the lake for testing. Any thoughts about if the fuel pump can pump intermittently or not. I just installed new tanks and checked the fuel for water.
Phil, the additional pump may have been added to circumvent an issue with the N/O low oil pressure switch.
Check the continuity of the pump's electrical power.
Make sure that the N/O low oil pressure switch contacts are closing once engine oil pressure comes up.

Back