Logo

1992 60 hp Mariner alarm problems

Tcharp

Got my 1992 60 hp Mariner running after sitting eight and half years! Yea! I replaced the water pump impeller and all worked after freeing up a stuck steering. Also got a new trailer. Anyway, after about an hour on the water, the alarm sounded continuously. It stopped after slowing down. Then it started intermittent beeping. Went home. The manual suggested it was the low oil sender. I replaced it and the beeping stopped. Started it and alarm immediately came on continuously. I used a heat gun and the highest temp was 107. I replaced the high temp sender and now the beeping every second is back on. When I pull the probe out of the oil tank it stops. As soon as I push it in all the way it starts beeping again and this is without the engine running. Any suggestions ​what to do next?

Suggest you post this question on the Mercury/Mariner forum on this site. Go to the top left of this page, click on "Forum Home" scroll down to the Mercury/Mariner Outboard Forum and post your situation there.

Got my 1992 60 hp Mariner running after sitting eight and half years! Yea! I replaced the water pump impeller and all worked after freeing up a stuck steering. Also got a new trailer. Anyway, after about an hour on the water, the alarm sounded continuously. It stopped after slowing down. Then it started intermittent beeping. Went home. The manual suggested it was the low oil sender. I replaced it and the beeping stopped. Started it and alarm immediately came on continuously. I used a heat gun and the highest temp was 107. I replaced the high temp sender and now the beeping every second is back on. When I pull the probe out of the oil tank it stops. As soon as I push it in all the way it starts beeping again and this is without the engine running. Any suggestions ​what to do next?

Problem solved. Read another thread about the possibility of the magnet comming off the float in the oil tank or the float becoming saturated if it is an old model that used cork for the float. It said you had to replace the tank because the float is internal and could not be replaced. I removed the tank, cut the float out the bottom with a box cutter and found the magnet had detached from the float. I put the magnet back on with construction adhesive then welded the part I had cut out using a Harbor Freight plastic welder.

Back