Logo

Sea Star power assist issue

Kb101

Hello, I’m a new boat owner, and everything has gone well with the first week in the water until yesterday... I have a sea star power assist steering unit making some very loud noise. With the slightest turn of the wheel the PA unit starts making a very loud revving sound. Sounds like a weed wacker or a dirt bike, almost louder than my boats motor! It worked fine the week before. Any ideas? Thanks

Ayuh,..... Is there any oil in it,..??..??
Went and got some oil and it would hardly take any so figured it was full. I’ve seen some people use the filler and bleeder kit hose while some people are able to just pour it in. Is it not full, and do I need the tube kit to get it to take oil? Is there air in the system that won’t let me put oil in? It ran fine the other day so if it is empty now does that mean I have a leak in the back which caused all this? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

That noise is associated with pump failure.
Sea star support took a look at the video and determined it was a broken coupler. They’ve got a new one in the mail to me already. They said when the coupler breaks the 12V motor will spin, making the noise heard, but isn’t connected to the pump because the coupler is broken.

Back