Logo

Faria Tach on a 2007 BF50

I have taken this boat out of winter stoargae and all systems are go except the tach. I have tested for supply power at 14.3 vdc and the signal to gnd is 8.1vdc. neither vary with the rpm. The rotary dial is set to #1. The part number is CS0288 , there was a label on this yet it is not readable( if that's a word).

Any help, comment advice will be appreciated

Tim

Try cleaning the rotary dial contacts(they corrode) by rotating the dial back & forth several times.

Bob

Thanks Bob, Im back at it in the morning (EST). I did a voltage check from positive to the signal wire . I used dc voltage setting . Im questioning if that was correct. Is it possible that it should have been ac voltage as I believe the input to the tach is the un rectified signal from the pulsar coil . Im in over my head on this one and any help is appreciated .

cheers

Tim

Your motor is right around the change from Carburetor to EFI. Carb engines should be set on 2, EFI on 1. EFI gets its signal from the ECM so I am assuming you have a carb engine

Your motor is right around the change from Carburetor to EFI. Carb engines should be set on 2, EFI on 1. EFI gets its signal from the ECM so I am assuming you have a carb engine

Thanks for the response

I do have a carbureted engine . I believe the EFI started mid 2008. My understanding from the online Faria manual is that 2006 and newer is 4pole and therefore setting #1 , p to 2006 is 6 pole and that would be setting #2. Should provide 2 pulses per rev. Is there a way to measure the signal input ?

For a update... I spoke to tech support at Faria . They confirmed the 6volts from gnd to signal as being correct. told me to place a magnet over the needle and it should move. mine move only a small amount. Remove the signal wire and isolate it, Then place a jumper between +12v terminal to signal and this should deflect needle up. after a few trys the needle did in fact move. Re installed in console and getting reasonable values. Does seem high at idle but that is for another day. They said that there are two places that stick or corrode . the pole selector switch as mentioned and the meter movement. Good customer service at Faria .

Thanks for the comments and hope this helps others.

Tim

Back