Logo

2006 mercury verado 175 SC fuel problems?

Rjcamel2355

Contributing Member
Hey folks I just got a 2006 Tahoe 215cc with a 175hp mercury verado that is super charged. it was supposedly stored for 2 years after being serviced to be lake ready. I tried to start it today it cranked for a bit then smack sounded like it locked up. Pulled the plugs, bottom plug was full of fuel, with all the plugs out I cranked it and it was shooting a stream of fuel 2-3' out of the #3 and #4 plug hole, mostly number 4. Got that all cleaned out plugs back in and tried to fire it up again. Same issue..... anyone have an idea what it might be? It's a 4 stroke but I've owned and maintained tons of 2 strokes. I'm thinking an injector stuck open or a seal that's just letting it dump fuel to those cylinders. #1 and #2 seem fine,not wet with fuel and no stream when. Ranking with the plugs out

The injector is stuck open or the boost reference line in the FSM came off the regulator and is sitting in the fuel, pulling fuel into the intake.

There is an updated Boost reference hose kit for the FSM.

When there is no boost at lower rpm, the boost reverence hose is pulling a vacuum.

Are these injectors rebuildable or should they just be replaced? I'll check for a loose boost reference line that you mentioned, this 4 stroke sc stuff is all new to me.

I pulled the fuel rail loose and tons of fuel came out of the bottom hole, just draining out. Turned the key with the rail loose but still hooked up the injectors seem to be spraying fuel like I would expect when cranking. Seems theres an internal leak as the fuel isnt coming from a stuck injector. Is this possibly the boost reference hose you mentioned?

I pulled the fuel rail loose and tons of fuel came out of the bottom hole, just draining out. Turned the key with the rail loose but still hooked up the injectors seem to be spraying fuel like I would expect when cranking. Seems theres an internal leak as the fuel isnt coming from a stuck injector. Is this possibly the boost reference hose you mentioned?

Pull the FSM and take it apart.. Change the float switch while you are in there.

Pulled the fsm, the hose was toast. Fixed that and got it to fire up but it cuts out when you give it throttle and dies, spits and sputters unless you pump the primer bulb. looks like it's time to replace the fuel pumps it seems

Pulled the fsm, the hose was toast. Fixed that and got it to fire up but it cuts out when you give it throttle and dies, spits and sputters unless you pump the primer bulb. looks like it's time to replace the fuel pumps it seems
First, you cannot fix the hose, you have to replace it with the update kit, Second the floats switched in the FSM fail so you should have replaced it... Probably why it is running out of fuel, Third, you cannot have a primmer ball on a Verado you will over fill the FSM and trip the Vent switch and then you will need a G3 computer to clear the code.

I'll be headed to the parts house tomorrow. I just used a piece of fuel line for the hose and the clamps off of the old one. I'll get the float switch for the fsm, and I will remove the priner bulb it was on the tank side of things. I'll also replace the line with the update kit.

The issues appears to be the high pressure pump its locked up and full or rust I tried to bench test it with 12v and it wont even spin. The low pressure pump works flawlessly. So I plan to replace them both and use the old one as a spare.

I'll be headed to the parts house tomorrow. I just used a piece of fuel line for the hose and the clamps off of the old one. I'll get the float switch for the fsm, and I will remove the priner bulb it was on the tank side of things. I'll also replace the line with the update kit.

The issues appears to be the high pressure pump its locked up and full or rust I tried to bench test it with 12v and it wont even spin. The low pressure pump works flawlessly. So I plan to replace them both and use the old one as a spare.

Follow the directions with the update hose kit. You will need a cup of hot water to soften the hose to install it.

Back