Logo

Power Steering Hose leaking at crimp - Part is Obsolete

swc65

Regular Contributor
While working on and around the 5.7L OMC Engine I have caused a leak in the power steering hydraulic line running from steering ram to the oil cooler. The leak is coming from the the crimp connection on the hydraulic hose (not the threaded connector). Looks like I may have moved the hose too as I was rerouting engine hoses and working around it. ME site shows the hose is not available. Evinrude Johnson Part 3854056

1. Anyone had any experience good or bad trying to repair a leak at the crimp? On a google search I ran across a post on using Permamatex high strength adhesive. This would make unsettled, I assume the hydraulic pressure in those hoses can get really high. In this same post the poster has performed temporary fix using cable clips
  2. Anyone have luck in the used parts market? Not ideal because you never know what your gonna get or when it will fail.
  3. Anyone had any luck finding a place to re-crimp the connection? I assume the old fitting would need to be cut which and some how adapted. Not sure if a hose repair shop could crimp to the existing metal fitting.

attachment.php

Attachments

• InkedPower Steering Hose_LI.jpg
    InkedPower Steering Hose_LI.jpg
    807.2 KB · Views: 69
Remove the hose and take it in to a hydraulic hose company.
They will be able to remove the crimp sleeves, salvage the fittings, replace the hose, and crimp new sleeves onto your existing fittings.

a leak in the power steering hydraulic line running from steering ram to the oil cooler.

Ayuh,..... The return hose is very low pressure, just the resistance of the cooler, 'n the oil above it in the reservoir,......

It can be clamped with plain ole screw worm clamps,.....

The other hose is 'bout 1,000 psi,.....

Yes, that could be done.
However, the hose still needs to be removed in order to cut the OEM crimp sleeve from it.
At that point, he may as well take it in for a proper repair.

Just my opinion!

Back