Logo

Volvo Penta DP-A propellers

JohnyLingo

I have two sets of props for my vp dpa one set is a B4 9 20 and the other is a B3 427. The bigger prop of the B4 set spun in the hub last summer, can you replace the hubs on these props?

I have been looking in the props section to see if i can find another B3, it works the best when I'm at Lake Powell and loaded up, but I am having trouble finding what looks like the correct prop.

Cory

Replying to my own post. Found some more info. Volvo P. has some J props that look promising, also the C drives are stainless steel. What are peoples opinions of the original aluminum props, the new alloy J props, and the stainless steel props.

I have two sets of props for my vp dpa one set is a B4 9 20 and the other is a B3 427. The bigger prop of the B4 set spun in the hub last summer, can you replace the hubs on these props?
To the best of my knowledge, no!

With the B series props (re; the FWD propeller), the aluminum splined hub is rubber vulcanized into an aluminum sleeve.
That sleeve is trued on a lathe and is then expoxied into the blade hub, of which has also been trued.

Things may be done differently today..... but that is how they've been for years past.

I have been looking in the props section to see if i can find another B3, it works the best when I'm at Lake Powell and loaded up, but I am having trouble finding what looks like the correct prop.

Cory

Replying to my own post. Found some more info. Volvo P. has some J props that look promising, also the C drives are stainless steel.
Actually, the C series prop sets are Stainless Steel.
(the C series drive refers to a model, as in DP-C)

What are peoples opinions of the original aluminum props, the new alloy J props, and the stainless steel props.

Aluminum sets..... fair performance, safe in in the event of an impact..... typically prop damage only, and no damage the prop shafts.
Stainless Steel..... better performance, risky in the event of an impact...... likely damage to prop shafts.

If you have a gasoline engine you will want to run the B series (aluminum) or the C series (stainless steel).

Other designations will be for the Diesel engines and/or the later gimbal suspension Duo Prop stern drives.

DO NOT mix and match prop sets.
Use props that are factory matched as a set.

FYI... if you run the B series, be sure to pull the props at least annually to clean and re-grease the splines.
If not, they can become corroded in place, in which case they will need to be sacrificed in order to remove them.

Last edited:
So I am a little confused with Volvo Penta props. I am assuming the B3 set of two props is a certain pitch and the B1, B2, B5, etc are different pitches? Meaning there is just one set of B3 props not multiple B3's to choose from?

So I am a little confused with Volvo Penta props. I am assuming the B3 set of two props is a certain pitch and the B1, B2, B5, etc are different pitches? Meaning there is just one set of B3 props not multiple B3's to choose from?

The Volvo Penta Duo Props are not listed in terms of diameter and/or pitch.
Each set (in the Aluminum B2, B3, B4, B5 or in the C3, C4, C5 for example) are matched.

If you run a set of B3s or C3s, they must be a matched pair.
In other words..... you would NOT run a B3 FWD prop with a B4 AFT prop or visa-versa.

Back