Logo

Mercruiser 5.0 MPI stalling and clinking!

jason1836

I have a 2007 Chaparral ssi220 with a 5.0 MPI on it. Ive been having problems with the engine for the past 6 months.
-first off to start, i always had to put some throttle, it never started cold without throttle. As soon as a brought it back to idle, it would stall.
-To get it on forward, i had to make it fast so it wouldn't stall, and give gas at the same time.
-Reverse same thing, however it would not go into gear right away. There was a 2 second delay between the time i shifted it to reverse, and when gears kicked it (sometimes with clinking noise, and sometimes with a hit).

I changed the IAC valve, and the little filter in the carburator, and that fixed my idle problem, the engines turn on cold, no gas needed and remains at 600 rpm smoothly.

However gearing it into drive or reverse is still a problem. Actually just by pushing just a tiny bit the throttle arm, the engines starts chocking and stalls.
The first couple of times, i had to give some gas to restart it if not it stalled, but then i realized that if it stalls when i try and put it in gear, just by shaking the throttle arm on the neutral position (to make the cables move), it starts perfectly.

Also if i try and put it in gear and its start stalling, by putting it back in neutral and shacking the arm, makes it run nice and smooth on idle again.

Any suggestions?:D

Back